Raspberry Porana dew (Morning dew): the pros and cons of the variety, the rules of care
Sweet raspberries serve as a source of vitamins and have excellent taste characteristics, so many gardeners grow it. One of the best varieties of this culture is the Morning Dew variety (other names are Porana dew or Poran Ross), the fruits of which are distinguished by their attractive appearance and excellent keeping quality. A detailed description of the variety, a description of its pros and cons, as well as the features of planting seedlings and caring for the bushes are presented later in the article.
Raspberries Morning dew was bred in the city of Brzezni, located on the outskirts of Krakow (Poland). The name of this variety in Polish sounds like Porana Rosa, and Jan Danek, breeder of the Institute of Horticulture and Floriculture, worked on its creation. He wanted to get a new type of yellow raspberry, characterized by good marketability of berries and high productivity.
The Morning Dew variety had the working name Polan X clone No. 80182 and appeared in 1998 as a result of crossing raspberries R. Occidentalis and R. coreanus. Today it is widely distributed in the central part of Ukraine and Russia, as well as in Belarus.
Did you know? From the point of view of botany, raspberries are not berries, but multi-seedlings - a collection of individual small fruits with seeds, which are tightly fused with each other.
Description and characteristic
Raspberry bush Porana dew has an attractive appearance and is relatively large in size. This variety is often grown on an industrial scale, as the berries are well transported and suitable for processing.
Description and main characteristics of the variety are presented below:
- The bush is erect and tall - up to 1.7 m, and its diameter is about 80 cm. The branches of the second year are covered with brown bark, which has hard spikes. The shoots of this year are green with a slight bluish coating.
- The leaves are saturated green, have an oval shape and a wrinkled surface.
- The flowering period falls in June or July. At the same time, white flowers collected in small inflorescences bloom in the axils of the leaves and on the tops of the shoots.
- The berries are large in size and in the shape of a sphere, painted yellow. The size of each of them is about 7-10 g.
- The fruit pulp is dense and juicy, has a good sweet taste with a pleasant acidity and exudes a rich aroma. Sugar content of berries can decrease with insufficient moisture for the bush.
- Subject to the rules of cultivation and care, raspberries Morning dew is resistant to the main types of fungal and viral diseases.
Advantages and disadvantages
Variety Porana dew is very popular among gardeners and is often grown for personal needs in small areas. This is due to the fact that raspberries of this species have a number of advantages that distinguish it from other varieties of this culture.
Did you know? Due to the fact that the raspberry flower is directed down, the bees can collect nectar from them even during light rain, being under a natural canopy of petals.
- The main advantages of morning dew are listed below:
- high productivity;
- excellent transportability and long-term storage of ripe berries;
- high content of vitamins in the pulp of berries;
- unpretentiousness in leaving;
- large berries with a pleasant taste and aroma;
- stable immunity to diseases and pests;
- good survival of seedlings;
- excellent frost resistance and drought resistance;
- universality of the use of fruits.
- The few disadvantages of the variety include such qualities:
- low sugar content compared with other varieties of yellow raspberries;
- during drought, the bush needs to be additionally watered;
- the presence of hard spikes on the shoots;
- the need for garter raspberries to support - under the weight of numerous berries, branches can break.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
Raspberry Porana dew withstands winter frosts down to –30 ° C and tolerates moderate summer heat. During a drought, the bush needs additional irrigation - the degree of sugar content of the fruits directly depends on this. Berries retain their original shape well and almost do not crumble even in hot weather.
The optimum summer temperature for growing this variety is + 30 ° C.
Productivity and fruiting
One of the main reasons for the great popularity of this variety among gardeners is the high yield of the bush and the high commercial quality of ripe berries. The main characteristics of the yield and fruiting of raspberries Morning dew are presented below:
- the bush begins to bear fruit 2-3 years after planting;
- the berries are located up to half the height of the bush and densely cover its short shoots;
- fruits are formed mainly on the green shoots of the current year;
- cultivar, the ripening of the first berries begins in late June;
- the beginning of the main fruiting period falls in the second half of August, and new berries appear on the bush until the frosts;
- with appropriate care, about 7 kg of ripe fruits can be collected from each bush.
Important! To increase the yield of raspberries Morning dew and increase the size of berries, it is recommended in autumn to cut fruiting bush shoots under the root.
Growing raspberries Porana dew on the site begins with planting seedlings, which is not very difficult, but requires strict adherence to the sequence of actions. Planting is recommended to be carried out at an appropriate time so that the young bushes are successfully rooted, and the selected site for growing the variety must meet certain requirements.
It is equally important to choose high-quality planting material and properly carry out its landing in open ground. About all this - later in the article.
Young raspberry bushes. Morning dew can be planted on the site in March or in the second half of October. The second option is used more often, but if the winter in this region is very frosty, it is better to postpone the planting of the seedling until spring, so that it does not freeze. Spring planting is carried out before the start of active sap flow, and autumn planting at air temperature below + 10 ° C, but no later than a month before the onset of frost.
Choosing the right place
Even strong and healthy raspberry bushes planted at the right time can die on the site if it does not meet certain requirements, so you need to choose a place for the seedlings in which all the necessary conditions for their active growth and fruiting are created.
The main requirements for the site for growing raspberries Porana dew are listed below:
- good sun exposure - bushes can grow in partial shade, but this leads to a decrease in yield and size of berries;
- protection from drafts - bushes growing in the cold wind are more vulnerable to diseases and pests;
- fertile and loose soil of neutral acidity - well passes air and moisture to the roots, and also provides the plant with nutrients necessary for growth;
- lack of groundwater at a depth of less than 1.5 m - in wetlands, the plant will die from root rot;
- good predecessors - for raspberries, such are legumes and canola, and after tomatoes, eggplant and potatoes, this variety is not recommended to be planted.
Important! Land on the site selected for planting must be prepared in advance. To do this, it is cleaned of all plant residues and dug up with the addition of rotted manure.
Selection and preparation of planting material
The success of raspberry cultivation. Morning dew largely depends on the quality of planting material, so you need to carefully choose seedlings, focusing on their appearance. The main recommendations for the purchase of young bushes of this variety are listed below:
- it is best to buy seedlings only in specialized stores or from trusted sellers - there is always a risk of buying a bush of a completely different variety on the spontaneous market;
- the trunk of the selected specimen should be even and smooth, without growths and mechanical damage, indicating damage to the disease or pests;
- best at the site strong young bushes take root about 45 cm high;
- the roots of the bush should be elastic and have a length of about 15 cm - the presence of dried areas on them indicates that the seedling has dried up and does not take root in the ground;
- the plant should not have green leaves - they draw moisture from the trunk and make it difficult to root in the soil.
Before planting, the roots of the seedlings are dipped in a thick mass prepared from clay, water and humus (700 g of each substance per 1 liter of water). To increase the resistance of the bush to diseases and pests, “Aktaru” can be added to this mixture.
A step-by-step algorithm for planting raspberries Porana dew is presented below:
- Prepare at the site landing pits with a depth of at least 30 cm with a diameter of about 60 cm.
- Put a handful of superphosphate and rotted manure at the bottom of each well. Sprinkle fertilizer with loose soil, forming a small mound from it.
- Dip the prepared raspberry seedling into the hole, spreading its roots on the surface of the knoll. The root neck should be slightly higher than the ground surface.
- Sprinkle the recess with the remaining soil and ram it around the trunk, forming an earthen roller.
- Pour 5 l of warm water into each bush. When the liquid is completely absorbed, mulch the trunk circle with a layer of dry moss or sawdust with a thickness of at least 10 cm.
Important! When planting raspberries Porana dew between rows of bushes, it is recommended to leave a distance of about 1.5 m, and the interval between adjacent plants in a row should be at least 70 cm.
Bushes of this variety are very unpretentious in care, but for regular and abundant fruiting, plants need proper watering, top dressing, pruning and garter.
The main recommendations for caring for raspberries Morning dew are listed below:
- within a month after planting, the seedlings are watered about 3 times a week, spending 1-1.5 buckets of water for each of them, so that the soil around the plants is always moderately moist at a depth of 45 cm;
- adult bushes are irrigated 1-2 times a week (depending on weather conditions), spending 8-10 liters of water for each of them;
- For irrigation of raspberries, you can use only previously defended water, heated in the sun;
- in early spring, plants are fed with rotted manure - 1 bucket of this product is made under each bush;
- fertilizing with complex mineral fertilizers is carried out 2 times per season - during flowering and during the ripening period of berries, according to the instructions indicated on the packaging of the substance;
- to increase productivity, raspberries are fed with calcium nitrate, and in the second half of July, potassium nitrate is added - the dosage of both substances is 25 kg per 1 ha of area;
- in the autumn, the earth around each bush is dug up with the addition of a bucket of peat or rotted chicken droppings;
- in order to avoid cracking of shoots under the weight of berries, it is recommended to install a trellis and tie fruit-bearing branches to it before opening the buds near the bush;
- in early spring, before the start of sap flow, a forming pruning of the bush is carried out, removing all branches growing inside, and the remaining shoots are shortened to the first bud;
- at the end of October, sanitary pruning is performed - old branches are removed, and 7-10 shoots are left on the bush, shortening them to a length of 30 cm;
- after each watering, it is recommended to remove weeds in the area of the near-stem circle and loosen the soil shallow - this facilitates the access of air and water to the root system of the plant;
- to prevent the formation of a dense earth crust and reduce the evaporation of moisture, the earth around the bush is covered with a layer of mulch from sawdust or peat.
Important! It is recommended to water raspberries in the morning or in the evening - this avoids the rapid evaporation of moisture and protects the plant from sunburn caused by water entering its leaves.
Harvesting and storage
The berries of this variety ripen in portions, so the yield from the bush is removed in several approaches. Ripe fruits are characterized by good keeping quality, but when collecting them, the following recommendations should be observed:
- so that the berries hold their shape better, they must be removed from the bush in the morning in dry weather;
- the fruits are picked by hand and gently release them from the receptacle;
- the collected berries are carefully stacked in a prepared dry container with a shallow depth so that the raspberries do not wrinkle;
- fresh berries intended for storage and transportation cannot be washed - when they come in contact with water, the berries lose their shape and their shelf life is significantly reduced;
- the crop is stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of +2 ... + 4 ° C away from products with a pungent odor.
Subject to all the above recommendations for the collection and storage of crops, raspberries Porana dew remains fresh for 2-3 weeks after harvest.
When planted in regions with a temperate continental climate, this variety can winter without shelter. If winter is very frosty and the air temperature drops below –20 ° C, and the snow cover is not large enough, then the bushes must be covered.
Did you know? Aromatic tea can be made from raspberry leaves. To do this, you need to stretch them with your hands so that the juice stands out, and then dry in a hot oven.
The basic rules for preparing plants of this variety for winter are listed below:
- during autumn pruning, the shoots of the bush are shortened and bundled, and then slightly bent to the ground;
- the soil around raspberries is covered with a layer of mulch with a thickness of at least 10 cm;
- from above the shoots of the bush are covered with spanbond, lutrasil or any other non-woven material;
- in spring, shelter is removed immediately after a stable positive temperature is established on the street so that the shoots do not bar.
Raspberries Morning dew can be successfully grown in one place for 7-10 years, and then the variety degenerates, as a result of which the yield decreases significantly, therefore, after a specified period of time, this crop is recommended to be transplanted to another place, propagating the mother bush.
Important! Propagation of a raspberry bush by basal offspring and rooting of the tops is recommended in early September, then the daughter bush that has taken root can be planted from the mother plant in early November.
Description of the main methods of propagation of raspberries Porana dew is presented below:
- Rooting tops. The essence of this method is that the upper part of the raspberry shoot is cut in front of the kidney, and then it is bent to the surface of the earth and dug up with soil, fixing the branch in this position. Over time, new roots form at the incision site. When they reach a length of 10-12 cm, the resulting daughter bush can be carefully disconnected from the mother plant and transplanted to a new place.
- Division of the bush. The mother bush is divided into several parts, carefully separating the roots. Each fragment of the parent plant is planted separately in the soil, guided by the raspberry planting algorithm described above. This method can be used provided that on each of the remaining parts of the bush there will remain 2-3 strong shoots.
- Reproduction by basal offspring. From the adnexal buds located on the roots of the bush, small bushes are formed - basal offspring that can be dug up and transplanted to a new place. Selected daughter processes should be at least 30 cm from the parent plant, and also have a healthy and branched root system about 15 cm long.
Diseases and Pests
Subject to all the above recommendations for planting and growing raspberries, Morning dew is rarely affected by diseases and pests.
Did you know? The world leader in raspberry cultivation is Russia, which annually produces more than 200,000 tons of fruits.
But if there are errors in the care, the bushes can suffer from such infections and insects:
- Gray rot. The disease develops well during wet and cool weather. Its main feature is a gray velvety coating on the surface of the fruit. The affected berry deforms and rots, continuing to serve as a source of infection. All rotten berries are removed from the bush, taken out of the site and destroyed. Plantings are sprayed with any copper-containing preparation (for example, “Hom”).
- Septoria (white spotting). The infection affects the leaves of the bush, as a result of which round spots of pale brown color appear on them. Over time, their surface becomes whitish, and the border becomes brown. The lesions dry up and die, and through holes form through the leaves. With severe infection, the leaf falls off entirely. The stained parts of the bush are removed and burned, and the plants are treated with a medicinal product containing copper (for example, Abiga-Peak).
- Raspberry beetle. The insect has an elongated rusty-yellow torso with a length of not more than 4 mm and reproduces well in thickened plantings. This pest damages inflorescences and raspberry leaves, eating their juicy pulp, and the females lay their eggs inside the ovaries and buds of the bush. Emerging caterpillars eat the ovaries and fruits, causing their deformation and shedding. You can deal with the pest with the help of chemicals (for example, Inta-Vira), spraying the bushes before flowering.
- Raspberry tick. The size of adult insects does not exceed 0.6 mm, and their body has a red or green color. Ticks multiply rapidly on the surface of the bush, laying eggs, from which larvae appear in a few days. Pests feed on the juice of the leaves, covering them with a thin web. As a result, the green mass of the bush dries up, and inflorescences and berries crumble. Biological products (for example, Fitoverm) are used against ticks, but insecticides (for example, Aktara) are most effective in case of severe damage.
- Raspberry-strawberry weevil. The pest is small and eats up raspberry pedicels. An adult beetle lays eggs inside the inflorescences, and the appeared larvae continue to live inside the bud and completely destroy it. As a result of this, the ovaries do not form, and the flowers crumble. To effectively combat weevil, chemical preparations are used (for example, Actellik), using them a week before flowering begins.
To avoid these problems, it is recommended to carry out preventive measures in time. These include:
- annual sanitary pruning of branches;
- crop rotation compliance;
- selection of quality planting material;
- thorough removal of plant debris and weeding of weeds around the bush;
- choosing the right spot for raspberry growing;
- loosening of soil in the area of the trunk circle;
- compliance with watering and dressing schedules;
- processing raspberries with a 3% solution of Bordeaux liquid in early spring before flowering - this procedure is carried out 2 times with an interval of 2 weeks.
Growing raspberries yourself. Morning dew on your site is quite simple.The bushes are unpretentious in care and delight with a generous harvest of berries that have high commercial characteristics. Using the recommendations listed in this article, you can successfully cultivate the variety Porana dew, using fresh crops and for culinary processing.
It bears fruit 2 times, 5 bushes grow 3 years. The berry is not super-sweet, in the fall - yes, it was tastier than the first harvest. I cut the thawed shoots in the fall, leaving a stump of 20 centimeters purely for visual orientation, in order to know where it grows, and now it’s under the root.