Zhuravlik - early remont raspberry: care, pruning, productivity
A repairing raspberry variety Zhuravlik was recently bred by Russian breeders. The plant is frost-resistant and gives high yields - its berries are quite large and fleshy. Read more about the features of growing Crane (Crane, Crane) - later in the article.
Repairing raspberries Zhuravlik (Rubus Zhuravlik)
The specified raspberry variety was entered in the register in 2001. It is suitable for cultivation in the southern regions of Russia, in the central regions of Ukraine and Belarus.
Did you know? The homeland of raspberries is Asia.
Appearance of the bush, characteristics of berries, ripening dates
Raspberry variety Zhuravlik has the following description:
- plant height - up to 2 m;
- powerful bush;
- there are thorns on the base of the bush;
- leaves are wide, have a dark green color;
- erect bush;
- annual shoots of a purple hue, and also have a slight waxy coating.
Feature of berries of this grade:
- weight up to 4 g;
- red tint;
- sweet taste;
- have a slight pubescence;
- stupidly conical form.
Raspberries begin to ripen by mid-summer, Crane gives a crop until the first frost. During the season, from one bush you can collect up to 2 kg of berries.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- Grade advantages:
- suitable for use raw and ready-made;
- rarely amenable to disease;
- suitable for sale;
- high yields;
- unpretentious in leaving;
- great taste of berries.
- at low temperatures in winter without shelter it can freeze;
- has spikes near the roots.
Features of agricultural technology
The described variety needs special care: in order for the fruits to be large and the crop to be heavy, fertilizers should be applied and autumn cuts of shoots must be carried out. This will help strengthen the plant's immunity, as well as provide an opportunity to get a larger crop next year.
Important! The soil for the maintenance grade must be rich in minerals. If there is no such soil, then you should take care of fertilizing the plant.
For raspberries of the Zhuravlik variety, it is important that the place is well-lit by sunlight. If you plant it in the shade, then the berries will be small and not so juicy. It is recommended to plant a bush plant on a hill - it is desirable that there are no trees nearby that will obscure it.
It is not advisable to plant plants in the lowlands, since there is a lot of moisture and the air does not warm well. Also, raspberries do not like the acidity of the soil, so if possible, it is advisable to check the pH of the earth.
Landing and care
Two periods of planting are suitable for the raspberry variety in question: the first falls in autumn, after the leaves fall from the trees, and the second in the spring, when a stable air temperature is set above + 5 ° С.
The sequence of planting in the soil:
- Dig a hole about 50 cm in size (both in diameter and depth). Leave 1 m between the pits for future plants - this is the distance between the bushes that will favorably affect the development of shoots.
- Add compost to the pits, 1 bucket per 1 m², and also add fertilizers that will contain nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Leave them like that for 1 month.
- The day before planting, the raspberries are dipped in a solution that will stimulate root formation and strengthen the plant as a whole.
- Dig small holes for planting bushes, arrange them in the middle. Fill the root system with loose soil.
- Pour the plant with warm, settled water.
Watering is especially important during such periods:
- the appearance of the first ovaries of berries;
- the formation and ripening of raspberries.
Important! Cold water negatively affects the plant and can lead to the appearance of diseases and to the death of shrubs, so watering is carried out with warm water.
Top dressing helps to get a higher crop.
Periods when top dressing for raspberries should be applied:
- the appearance of the kidneys and their blooming;
- 1.5 weeks before the formation of the first ovaries;
- during flowering;
- after harvesting the whole crop.
In spring, raspberries are fertilized with nitrogen preparations. A good organic top dressing is a mullein solution - 1 kg per 15 liters of water, 2 buckets per 1 m² are added. Then you should switch to preparations that will contain potassium and phosphorus - mix 40 g of superphosphate and 25 g of sulfuric potassium: they are diluted in 10 l of water, and then the plant is watered. Such a fertilizer will stimulate growth and strengthen the root system of the bush, as well as improve the taste of berries.
In autumn, it is advisable to add wood ash to the soil: it will help to renew the supply of nutrients for the next year.
Pest and Disease Control
The crane is quite resistant to diseases and pests. To prevent unwanted diseases, the plant is sprayed in early spring and late autumn. The drugs that should be treated with the plant are Topaz, Fundazol.
Did you know? Raspberries first brought to Europe in the 16th century, and in Russia these berries appeared in the 17th century.
In order to avoid infection with a viral infection, the tool should be treated after each manipulation of the bushes. Viral infections are incurable, and if this happens, it is advisable to remove the plant from the plantation so that the rest do not become infected.To preserve raspberry bushes from ticks and aphids, they should be sprayed with Karbofos before flowering. Also, in order to prevent insects from appearing on the plant, it can be sprayed with tincture of garlic, which due to its smell will scare insects away and will not affect the quality of the plant and fruits.To prevent the development of the fungus, the soil should be weeded after water is added so that it is saturated with air - it will dry out faster and the moisture will not stagnate.
The trellis serves as a support for shrubs that reach more than 1.5 m in height, and also have large berries.
- Advantages of its use:
- raspberries due to the garter will evenly receive sunlight;
- the berries that are below will not get dirty with water when watering;
- the plant will be even, without bent shoots, will not break;
- when harvesting the branches will not interfere, they will not have to constantly raise;
- there will be sufficient air supply for the plants, and they will not rot because of the large amount of accumulated moisture.
Types of trellis:
- Single lane. Tying is carried out only on one side and in one place.
- Two-way. It has limitations on both sides, this allows the plant to grow more. When using this type, do not plant the bushes too thickly.
- To a single-lane trellis. Raspberries are tied to each row of thread separately, you cannot tie two shoots in one place.
- To a two-lane trellis. This method makes it possible not to tie the plant, since the thread is on both sides of the plant, and this allows it to grow without a garter.
- Scandinavian method. It does not require tying the stems to the string, as the shoots will grow on their own thread and hold tight.
Pruning and wintering
Trimming is recommended closer to the root, since it simplifies the covering of bushes with agrofibre, which will help to keep warm in the winter. Also, the procedure will not allow pests that settle in the cold season on fresh shoots to appear.
Additional shelter at low temperatures cannot be dispensed with, since the plant will produce a poorer crop, and this can also lead to the death of the plant due to frostbite.
Harvesting and transportation
The first wave of harvest begins towards the end of June. Since the berries have sufficient density, they are easy to transport over long distances. For transportation, it is better to use a plastic container in which raspberries are folded in layers. Each layer can be separated by parchment or a sheet of plain paper.
The berries retain their shape for a long time, it is desirable to store them in a cool and well-ventilated area. It is not advisable to transport berries in a plastic bag, as they will be subject to strong crush. In such a container, moisture will accumulate, which negatively affects raspberries - it will begin to rot.Zhuravlik is a fairly new variety, but it has already managed to win the hearts of gardeners due to its resistance to diseases. Based on the above, we can say that we should not forget about caring for the plant - it is important to make top dressing on time, as well as water and trim the bushes.