Raspberry varieties Aurora: characteristics, features of cultivation, fruiting
Raspberry Aurora became popular not so long ago, despite its good taste and high yields. Perhaps this is due to the fact that it is not so easy to find Aurora on sale, so most gardeners simply have not heard of a relatively new instance. To learn more about the quality characteristics of the Aurora variety, consider its description and discuss the features of planting bushes at home.
Raspberry Aurora was created recently, in 2017, by Italian breeders of the large agronomic company Vivai Molani di Cesena. This variety is repairing and belongs to the tutamer (2 times bearing) from Aldo Telch.
The raspberry variety Aurora is poorly understood in connection with the recent selection, there are no reviews on the Internet from gardeners who are already growing this variety on their site. In order to consider in more detail the main characteristics of the variety and the description of the appearance of raspberry bushes and berries, one should start from the information provided by the originator.
Bushes of the repairing variety grow at least 2 m in height, very powerful and strong, so they necessarily need a garter to the trellises to fix in an upright position. There is no information about the spikes, so identification of the over-sorting on seedlings is impossible.
Important! More than 90% of the harvested fruits belong to the 1st category in terms of quality indicators; therefore, the variety is the leader in market sales.
The berries of the variety grow very large, their weight usually exceeds 3 g. Excellent fruit transportability is noted, which is really rare for raspberries. Raspberries Aurora have a rich red color, good taste and high Brix (sugar content) - more than 12 units.
Despite the high sugar content, the berries are not sugary, since there is a slight acidity in the taste, they have a weak aroma.
Advantages and disadvantages
- The main advantages of the Aurora variety are:
- excellent taste;
- high natural sugar content, which allows the use of the variety for the manufacture of desserts without the addition of sugar;
- excellent transportability and storage duration;
- the ability to harvest 2 times and the duration of fruiting until the first frost.
- The disadvantages of Aurora include:
- bush height and the need to provide support for normal growth;
- special lighting requirements - even partial shade does not tolerate;
- breeding problems due to lack of root offspring.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
Almost all varieties of remont raspberries are highly resistant to low temperatures in winter, since they do not leave shoots on the surface of the soil - all stems are cut in the autumn, leaving only roots with sleeping young buds that wake up in the spring after stabilization. Resistance to drought is also good, however, in order to obtain a plentiful harvest, raspberries need to be provided with additional watering during severely arid summer periods.
Productivity and fruiting
The high yield of the variety is achieved due to the Aurora maintainability, since the crop is harvested 2 times a year, while it does not require any special growing conditions and can be grown on a regular garden plot. The first crop is harvested in early July, the second - at the end of August.
The subtleties of planting remont raspberries must be taken into account when organizing the process, so we will consider in more detail how and when to plant seedlings in open ground.
Planting remont raspberries Aurora can be made both in spring and autumn. Depending on the region of cultivation, the timing of planting seedlings will vary.
In the spring, raspberries are planted exclusively in the northern regions, where frost occurs in early autumn. The mild warm climate of the southern regions allows raspberries to be planted in spring (from early March to early May) or in autumn (from late August to mid-October). In conditions of the middle zone, autumn planting is more often used, so that in spring, as soon as the weather stabilizes, the bush begins to grow fruit shoots.
Be sure to adjust the landing time in accordance with weather conditions. The main criteria for the safe planting of seedlings in open ground are:
- the onset of a 12-hour daylight hours;
- air temperature at the level of + 10 ... + 15 ° С.
Choosing the right place
Raspberry prefers to grow on light, but well-fertilized, moist soil, so you should choose a place for planting in accordance with the requirements of the bush. The deep occurrence of groundwater is the key to a healthy root system of the plant and its normal growth, therefore, for planting seedlings, choose a site where groundwater does not come closer to the surface closer than 1 m to the surface.
Particular attention should be paid to the degree of illumination of the area where the cultivation of Aurora remont raspberry is planned, since in the shade the fruiting periods are much shifted, the taste deteriorates and the yield becomes much lower than when growing bushes in open areas with direct sunlight throughout the day.
The best for planting seedlings are considered nutrient loams, the acidity of which is from 5.8 to 6.7 pH. If the soil is acidic, it is necessary to carry out liming with dolomite flour or ground limestone. It is preferable if before planting crops on the site they will grow siderates in the form of mustard, lupine, which at the end of summer are plowed and planted in the soil, providing a powerful base in the form of fertilizer.
Important! It is forbidden to plant raspberries in areas where potatoes and peppers were grown before, tomatoes that greatly deplete the soil.
Selection and preparation of planting material
High-quality planting material is half the success in growing repair plants, so we will consider how to choose and prepare seedlings for planting.
Strong seedlings should be selected based on the following criteria:
- The plant has a large number of living buds at the base, at least 3 pcs.
- Healthy roots of the plant - the processes are live, elastic, dense and moist.
- The seedling has several processes, which indicates the viability of the plant.
If transporting the seedling to the planting site takes a lot of time, it is recommended to wrap the roots in a wet, natural cloth. At home a couple of days you can store raspberries by immersing the roots in water. For longer storage, you should drip the plant before planting.
Before planting, shoots of plants are usually cut to 30–40 cm in order to stimulate the active growth of young fruit stems.
There are several ways to plant remont raspberries, which can minimize the labor costs of gardeners in the process of planting care:
- Bush planting involves planting in the southern part of the plantation, which is closed from the north with a hedge or plantations that protect the raspberry tree from the cold wind. Plants should be located at a distance of about 90 cm from each other. Digging a hole for landing, the following dimensions are observed: 50 cm in depth and 50 cm in diameter. The bushes are staggered, the raspberry should consist of 4-6 rows. Each plant in the process of planting is attached to the support.
- Trench planting is usually used for industrial purposes, when a large number of raspberry bushes should be placed on the site.Tall varieties, which include Aurora, are best planted in 2 rows (in one trench, place two seedlings that will grow on 2 sides), such a planting can significantly save space and simplify plant care. Between the plants leave a free space of 50 cm, the row spacing is 2 m. Trenches are dug from north to south to allow the raspberry to warm up well.
It is necessary to start looking after repair raspberries in the early spring, even before the soil is completely thawed. In March, when the snow cover melts, any complex mineral fertilizer for raspberries is applied to the soil, according to the instructions. Before budding, in April, sanitary pruning of the plant is carried out, shortening the shoots to the first healthy kidney.
Did you know? The most useful is black raspberry, but it can rarely be found on sale in Europe, since it was bred in the United States.
In the case of the first signs of fungal diseases, in order to avoid massive fungal damage of raspberry, in mid-April it is treated with iron sulfate or "Nitrafenom", according to instructions. If there are no signs of fungal diseases, preventive irrigation of raspberries is carried out in early May, using fungicides in the form "Topaz" or "Ridomila", according to instructions.
In addition, in May, foliar top dressing is carried out to activate the kidneys and the growth of new fruit shoots using any complex mineral product based on growth stimulants for repair raspberries. Watering plants begin to be actively carried out in late May, when the soil warms up well and dries up in the absence of natural precipitation.
Watering should be once a week, the amount of water used should be at least 5 liters for each bush. If there is severe drought in the summer, the amount of water can be increased by 2–3 times, so that the soil gets wet 40 cm in depth. Raspberries do not tolerate soil compaction, so after each watering the soil should be loosened and cleaned of weeds that interfere with the normal development of plants.
The first loosening is carried out in the spring, immediately after the soil has thawed, the row-spacing loosening depth should be 15 cm; near the bushes, the soil should be loosened to a depth of 8 cm. in the absence of a protective layer, you will have to carry out the procedure at least 6 times per season.
Did you know? To collect a lot of raspberries in a season, raspberries are often placed near apiaries, surprisingly, but thanks to bees, the yield increases by at least 60%.
During the growth process, the Aurora raspberry raspberry is strongly stretched, reaching a height of 2 meters, so it must be tied up to provide normal access to the shoots during harvesting and to prevent excessive bending of the shoots under the weight of the fruit. For garter use supports that are installed along a row of plants every 3 m. A wire is pulled onto the supports in 2 or 3 levels (at a height of 50 cm, 1 m, 1.5 m), to which raspberry shoots are attached.
Preparing remont raspberries for winter has a number of nuances, unlike regular raspberries. First of all, the peculiarity of this species of plants is that they are able to bear fruit well only on annual shoots, so leaving stems for the winter does not make sense, they are cut to the root.
The lower the shoots cut, the better the plant will survive the winter. However, if in the next season it is planned to get several harvests of berries, annual shoots can be left. At the age of 2 years, a raspberry shoot can also bear fruit, however, the harvest will be more scarce.
Leaving shoots for wintering is recommended only in the southern regions with milder winters, as in the middle zone and northern regions uncircumcised remont raspberry winters very poorly. After trimming the plants, the territory is mulched, filling the bed with a thick layer (more than 10 cm) of mulch - peat, sawdust or straw to protect the root system from freezing.
There are several ways to reproduce remont raspberries, among which are:
- Propagation by cuttings. Young shoots of raspberries, the height of which does not exceed 5 cm, can be cut for further rooting. In the spring, when the plant begins to awaken from hibernation, the strongest buds wake up first and begin to actively grow the green mass of young shoots, at which time they need to be cut with a sharp knife, touching the part of the shoot that is underground (bleached lower part). The slice is sprinkled with crushed charcoal. Root cut shoot should be in a mixture of peat and sand (2 to 1). The depth of immersion of the cuttings in the soil will correspond to the bleached bottom of the shoot. Planting pattern: 5 cm between cuttings, 10 cm between rows. The rooting period of plants is 3 weeks, provided that the soil moisture and temperature are maintained at + 18 ... + 25 ° С.
- Propagation by root offspring. This method is more time-consuming, since repair raspberries do not always give root offspring and you have to stimulate the plant to obtain planting material. In order for raspberries to take additional shoots from the roots, in the autumn you have to remove the center of the rhizome at the bush. When the bush starts up a sufficient number of root offspring, you should choose the strongest, at least 40 cm high, with a strong root system and use them for transplantation. Young plants should be planted following the planting scheme for seedlings of remont raspberries.
Diseases and Pests
Removable raspberries are more resistant to diseases and pests, however, with a decrease in immunity, they can also suffer from exposure to fungi, viruses and insects.
The diseases that affect remont raspberries are:
- anthracnose - the pathogen is a fungus, the signs of which are white spots on the leaf plates and stems of the plant, blackening of the bark of shoots, falling leaves and berries. To avoid infection, for prophylaxis, plants are sprayed with a 1% solution of Bordeaux fluid, before buds open on the plant, before budding and after harvesting. Anthracnose treatment does not give positive results, so a heavily affected bush is dug up and burned to avoid infection of neighboring plants;
- gray rot - fungal disease, which manifests itself in the form of brown spots on the berries and mass rotting of the crop. The main cause of gray rot is frequent rainfall and dampness on the site, so the disease is prevented by observing the planting scheme for unhindered air movement inside the bushes and the fruits dry quickly. For the treatment of gray rot on raspberries, the preparations "Sumylex", "Fundazol" are used, according to the instructions;
- root cancer - A bacterial disease that affects the root system of a plant. The danger is that root cancer can be detected only after digging up a bush and examining the root system. The first signs of the onset of the disease are growth retardation, small berries and a poor crop. If you dig a plant, growths on the roots are found, they are soaked in a solution of copper sulfate for 10 minutes, the concentration of the solution must be agreed with the instructions for the drug. Prevention of root cancer is to adhere to cultivation agrotechnics.
Pests that often infect raspberry bushes are:
- gall midge - larvae of black mosquitoes that lay eggs in the cracks in the base of the raspberry trunk.Larvae continue to live there until pupation, feed on the sap of the plant and form bulges in the stems, after reaching sizes of 4 mm, mosquitoes appear from the cocoons, which again begin to lay their eggs, but only in young shoots. The continuous process of plant damage leads to growth retardation, problems with flowering and fruiting. With a massive lesion, the stems dry out, the leaves fall off, the plant can die. If a problem is found, the bush is treated with Iskra, Actellik, Fufanol, according to the instructions. Prevention of the appearance of insects is the timely destruction of weed vegetation and increase the immunity of plants by making fertilizing and fertilizing;
- raspberry aphids - a small pest that provokes twisting of leaves, curvature of young shoots, shedding of buds. The aphid has a green color, usually parasitizes on the plant in large families, completely sticking to the ends of the shoots. To combat the pest, Alator, Actellik preparations are used, according to the instructions. Prevention of the appearance of aphids on the shoots is the correct placement of raspberries (pests often parasitize in shady areas) and timely watering of plants.
Harvesting and storage
Harvesting remontant raspberries is made as the berries ripen, as a rule, they ripen daily, so it is recommended to harvest them at least every other day.
Important! Untimely collection of fruits leads to their decay, which causes the development of a fungus that can affect all parts of the plant.
It is necessary to start harvesting on a dry, warm day early in the morning, when the berries have not yet had time to warm up (warm raspberries crumple quickly, start up juice and are poorly stored). Ripe berries are suitable for picking, which have a color appropriate for the variety and are easily separated from the stem. Remove raspberries from the stalks carefully so as not to crush the berry.
It is recommended to take the fruit with three fingers and tear off the bush with a scrolling motion. The collected berries are stacked in panets (special containers for fruits) in 2-3 layers so that they do not crush under weight. If it is planned to transport the harvested crop, an shockproof film is laid at the bottom of each tank, which will ensure the safe transportation of products.
Store raspberries in a refrigerator or large refrigerated rooms at a temperature of 0 ... + 2 ° C and a humidity of 95%. If you follow the recommendations for harvesting and storage, raspberries will well retain commercial qualities for 7-10 days.
Thus, the raspberry variety Aurora is recommended for cultivation both in small summer cottages and on an industrial scale. To get a good harvest of remont raspberries, you must follow the recommendations for care and cultivation, which are described in detail in this article.
Network user reviews
Aurora today. Seedlings the second year, the first fruiting. The size of the berry is impressive, we look forward to taste assessment. We hope that the taste will fit the size. In proud loneliness, all processes / flowering, pollination ... / Growth - at the level, rooting cuttings - at the level, the seedlings yield - standard, as for honeysuckle. From the line of large-fruited plants available in the collection, the variety has the largest berry in my conditions. The results of observing the variety will be set out upon receipt. Planting material was received from B. S., and it should be noted - excellent quality.