Taganka raspberry variety: characteristics, growing characteristics, ripening dates
Raspberry Taganka gained popularity among gardeners. In order to grow this variety on its own, you need to know its main characteristics, time and planting technology, as well as the time of harvest, the rules for caring for the plant in the winter, possible diseases and pests. You will learn about these and other details in the article.
Taganka raspberry was bred in 1976 by crossing two varieties: the Large Two-mongrel and the Scottish hybrid varieties 707/75 at the V.V.Kichina Institute of Horticulture.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Shrubs of this variety are spreading thickened shoots, their height is 2 m. Annual branches of brown color are covered with a waxy coating. The biennial stems are brown in color. Taganka raspberry leaves are large, green, with grooves along the edges. On the stems are small, soft purple spikes that do not constitute any particular inconvenience during the harvest season.
The bush forms 4-5 shoots of stems, 8–12 substitution shoots and 20–24 fruit branches, from which 20–30 berries can be harvested. The fruits are large, weighing 5-10 g, red, conical shape. The berry is covered with a thin dense peel. The flesh is burgundy, sweet, juicy. When harvesting, the fruits do not lose their shape. The taste raspberries Taganka received 4.7 points.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any culture, this variety has pros and cons when grown.
- The benefits of Taganka raspberry include:
- rich harvest: 5 kg of berries from the bush;
- large fruit size;
- disease resistance.
The disadvantages of the variety include the fact that the berries are not intended for long-term transportation, as they quickly begin to crack and at the same time lose their appearance.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
Variety Taganka or Taganok has high winter hardiness, the aerial part of the bushes is able to withstand frosts to -20 ° C, which is its advantage. Also, the variety is resistant to drought, but with long dry periods, the fruits become smaller, which affects their quality.
Productivity and fruiting
Taganok is a mid-late variety. Fruits begin to ripen in August, but fruiting continues until the end of autumn. Berries must be picked manually. Ripe fruits are easily separated from the stalk, which facilitates the determination of ripe berries from not ripened.
Before embarking, you need to familiarize yourself with the timing of planting, the choice of planting material and a place for planting, as well as the technology of planting bushes. You will learn about these and other details in the article below.
Raspberries can be planted in autumn or spring. The second option is more reliable, as the bushes take root better. If you are going to plant raspberries in the southern region, then you can plant in the autumn. Before planting a plant, it is necessary to choose a suitable place for its further life.
Did you know? Bees collecting nectar increase raspberry productivity by 60-90%. Since the flowers of this crop are turned down, insects can try from them during rain.
Choosing the right place
When choosing a site for planting, you must pay attention to the soil: it should be loose, good moisture and air. In this case, groundwater should be located at a distance of 1 m from the ground level, since stagnation of water can lead to decay of the raspberry root system, as a result of which the bushes will die.
It is best to plant it from the south-western side of the site, since this way the plant will receive enough sun and heat. However, it should not be affected by drafts.
In this regard, planting should be carried out near fences or any hedges, because a strong wind can damage the stems, as well as disrupt the activity of insects with which the plant is pollinated. To prevent this problem, it is necessary to make strips of land along the fence, which protects raspberries from the wind.
Important! Planting this crop does not stand in the place where tomatoes, potatoes, peppers were planted earlier, since these products deplete the soil and draw many useful substances from it.
Selection and preparation of planting material
The choice of planting material must be approached carefully, it is best to buy seedlings in proven nurseries. When choosing seedlings, you need to pay attention to the root system: it must be well developed, the roots must be fresh, free from defects, rot or too dry.
Raspberry shoots should be healthy, not damaged. If this variety is growing on your site or in the neighbors, seedlings can be obtained independently, by dividing the bush. To do this, you need to choose healthy shoots and extract them during the pruning period, while you need to capture the maximum number of roots.
Taganka is a remont raspberryBased on this, in 2-3 cases, the properties of the mother plant are preserved, so the plant can be propagated using seeds. To get seedlings from seeds, you need to put ripe berries in a bag of nylon fabric, crush them and rinse with water at room temperature, then dry and store at a temperature of +1 ... + 3 ° С. They can be sown in early spring to a depth of 5 cm.
Before embarking, it is necessary to prepare the soil in advance. After harvesting, the plot is removed from weeds, fallen leaves and dug up. At the same time, you can make fertilizer: 2.5 buckets of manure, 150 g of wood ash (this amount is designed for 1 m²).
Did you know? Russia is the world leader in raspberry cultivation, about 200 tons of berries are harvested in this country in a year.
After the soil is prepared, you can proceed to the following actions:
- dig a trench 40 × 50 cm in size, while the distance between the seedlings should be 1.5 m, and the row spacing 2 m;
- then put in a trench 12 kg of humus compost, 200 g of superphosphate and 120 g of potassium salt, this amount is calculated per 1 m²;
- sprinkle fertilizer with soil;
- then inspect the seedlings again, in the presence of dry or damaged roots they need to be cut;
- after that, the root system of the bush is placed in a mixture of water with clay and aged there for 2 hours;
- as soon as the specified time has passed, the seedling is taken out and installed in the trench, while the root neck should not be lower than the soil surface;
- the roots are straightened, then they are sprinkled with soil and gently compact the soil;
- then you need to cut the stems on a growth bud at a level of 20 cm from the ground;
- at the end, the bushes need to be watered, a bucket of water is consumed per 1 bush. As soon as the soil absorbs moisture, it must be mulched with humus.
After planting, the plant needs careful care. It includes timely and proper watering, regular fertilizing, pruning and garter. It is necessary to water raspberries regularly, as it is vulnerable to severe drought and a lack of moisture can affect the quality and quantity of the crop.
Particular attention should be paid to watering at the time of formation of the ovaries and during the ripening period. Taganka should be watered once every two weeks in the morning or in the evening. You can moisturize raspberries in two ways - by sprinkling or pouring water directly into irrigation furrows.
10-15 l of water is consumed per bush. Also, after watering, you should loosen the soil so that it absorbs moisture faster and, if necessary, get rid of weeds. Since the root system of raspberries is close to the surface, the depth of cultivation should be 5-10 cm.
This variety can be grown as an annual or biennial plant.. When growing the first option, after harvesting, all stems are cut to the ground level so that no stumps remain. If you live in a cold region, it is best to grow raspberries as a two-year-old, with only last year’s stems being cut.
In the spring, sanitary pruning is carried out, which includes the removal of dry, defective and damaged stems to a healthy kidney. If the bushes are too thick, they will need to be arranged, and also, if all the shoots are out of the row, they should be removed.
Garter bushes are necessary in order to simplify the robot to care for the plant. Tie raspberries to the supports. Trellis is used as a support: single, double and Scandinavian. The most popular are the first two options.
To tie raspberries to a single trellis you need:
- dig in columns with a height of 2.5 m and a depth of 50 cm;
- the gap between the posts should be 4-5 m;
- then between the posts you need to pull the wire at a height of 1 and 1.5 m.
To tie raspberries to a double trellis you need:
- dig in columns with a height of 2 m and a depth of 50 cm;
- the gap between the posts should be 4-5 m;
- then attach to all the posts a cross member whose length should be 50 cm and a width of 5 cm;
- then stretch the wire between the cross members at a distance of 50 cm from each other, at a height of 1 m and 1.5 m from the soil surface;
- then every 60 cm pull the wire or rope.
In order to get a rich harvest, the plant must be fertilized in a timely manner. Feeding, starting from 2 years after planting, must be carried out every year.
Important! Also, every 3 years, raspberries need to be fed with organic fertilizers. As organic top dressing, you can use a solution of mullein, goat, rabbit droppings in a ratio of 1:10 or bird droppings in a ratio of 1:20. One bush will need 10 liters of solution.
Taganka should be fertilized with raspberries in such periods (the amount of mineral substances is calculated per 1 bush):
- In March, it is fertilized with a solution of 15 g of ammonium nitrate and 10 l of water.
- Before flowering begins, a solution of 20 g of potassium sulfate + 30 g of double superphosphate diluted in a bucket of water is introduced.
- During the development period, the fruit is fertilized with a solution: 20 g of potassium sulfate, 20 g of double superphosphate and 40 g of Uniflor-Micro fertilizer, diluted in a bucket of water. One bush will need a liter of solution.
- In October, it is fertilized with a solution of 20 g of potassium sulfate and 40 g of superphosphate diluted in a bucket of water.
Video: Raspberry repair. Features of planting and care
Harvesting and storage
The fruits of this variety ripen in mid-August. Duration of fruiting lasts a month. In warmer regions, harvesting can be done at the end of November. From one bush you can collect 5-7 kg of berries. It is necessary to put them in containers in one layer so that they are not damaged under their own weight.
You can store the resulting crop in the refrigerator for about two days. Compotes, jam, jelly, juice and filling for desserts are made from fruits. Despite the fact that raspberries can not be stored for a long time in the refrigerator, it can be frozen and enjoy fresh tasty berries in the winter.
Preparing raspberry bushes for wintering is the most important process that affects the amount of yield and the plant's further vital activity. If you cut off all the stems, then special preparation for the winter is not required, you just need to mulch the rows with peat so that the root system does not suffer during wintering.
If the stems are not cut, you need to carry out the following actions:
- remove leaves from the shoots, for this you need to put on tight gauntlets and hold the top on the stems from the bottom. This procedure is needed so that new kidneys can form;
- then connect the bushes to each other and connect the shoots;
- wrap in lutrasil or spunbond.
These actions must be performed a month before the onset of frost.
Taganka raspberries can be propagated in several ways.
Below we consider each of the methods in more detail:
- Seeds. To do this, overripe berries are used, which are placed in a bag and squeezed juice from them, then washed with water and dried. Before sowing seeds need long-term stratification.
- Root offspring. At the end of summer, young adult raspberries with several leaves and individual roots can be seen near adult bushes. With the beginning of autumn, they need to be dug in such a way as not to damage the root system and transplanted to a previously prepared place.
- Using pieces of rhizome. To do this, cut the root into 10-15 cm slices and dig to a depth of 5 cm. Young shoots will sprout quickly.
Diseases and Pests
Despite its resistance to fungal diseases, Taganka is exposed to a number of other diseases, as well as the appearance of pests that can cause significant damage to both the crop and the plant.
This variety is subjected to such diseases:
- Mosaic. When this disease appears, the leaves of the plant change shape and color, wrinkle. Light and dark spots appear on their plates. Fruiting significantly worsens. The fruits lose their shape - they become dry and stiff, the shoots become thinner. In order to get rid of the disease, it is necessary to uproot the infected bushes and burn them.
- Witch's broom. On the bush there are shoots that do not bear fruit, the number of such shoots can reach 200 pcs. Young shoots grow up to 20 cm, leaves become small, yield decreases. In order to get rid of the disease, you need to dispose of infected bushes.
- Root cancer. The infected plant slows down in growth. Berries lose their taste. When transplanting on the root of an infected plant, growths with a diameter of 5 cm can be detected. To cure raspberries, it is necessary to disinfect the roots with a solution of 100 g of copper sulfate and a bucket of water, the bush must be kept in solution for 10 minutes. In preventive measures, it is necessary to maintain the acidity of the soil, replant the bushes every 3-4 years.
- Curly hair. Brown spots appear on the lower part of the leaves, the leaf plate becomes stiff, and the veins become glassy. Fruits lose their shape and taste. Raspberry dies after a few years. It is impossible to get rid of this disease. Infected bushes are disposed of.
In addition to diseases, such pests can cause harm to Taganka:
- Aphid. The first sign of infection with it is the appearance of several insects on the inside of the leaf. They feed on their juice, as a result of which the leaves curl and turn yellow. In the spring, you can detect the appearance of larvae at the top of the stem. To get rid of the pest, it is necessary to spray the tops of the shoots with a soap solution (dilute 300 ml of liquid soap in a bucket of water) or spray with a mixture of 15 g of anabazine sulfate. As a preventive measure, after harvesting, fallen leaves are collected and burned, shoots that have produced fruits are removed. The soil is dug under a bush to a depth of 15 cm.
- Raspberry fly. Larvae appear on the stem, which eat the tissue of the shoots, as a result of which they blacken and wilt. In order to get rid of the pest, it is necessary to process raspberries with Parisian herbs, the concentration of which should be 0.15%. In preventive measures, you need to dig the soil under the bush.
- Weevil. A sign of defeat by this pest is a bitten stalk, which is why the buds begin to fall. To get rid of it, you need to use Parisian herbs (concentration of 0.15%).
- Glassmaker. These are caterpillars that climb into the stems of a plant and multiply in them. At the same time, raspberry branches die quickly. Glassbasket can be found by cutting the shoot. Also, the disease is indicated by the decay of the stem core. To get rid of the pest, the same remedy is used as with a raspberry fly. As a precaution, contaminated raspberry shoots are disposed of.
- Raspberry moth. A sign of this pest is the appearance of abscesses on young shoots. They are formed due to the fact that the insect lays eggs under the bark of the plant. Caterpillars feed on raspberry bud juices, so the ovaries begin to die off gradually. The fruits on the infected bush grow small and lose their shape. For disposal Parisian greens (concentration of 0.15%) is used. Preventive measures: removal of infected shoots.
Raspberry Taganka is not demanding in care. In order to get a rich harvest, you should adhere to the rules of planting and further care for this variety. With timely watering and fertilizing, you can get a good harvest and cook various dishes with berries: jams, desserts, compotes and preserves. And awareness of all kinds of diseases and the appearance of pests will help you continue the life of this variety for many years.
Network user reviews
For 5 years now, raspberry taganka has been growing and bearing fruit. Variety of the usual type of fruiting, large berries of a typical raspberry color. The variety is very early, this year on June 10 already sold berries, the berries are very tasty. I have about 15 varieties of raspberries, and Taganka in my opinion is the most delicious. Shoots of her small stature 70-100cm. and not very thick, so its seedlings next to modern varieties look second-rate and are reluctant to buy them. But when she begins to bear fruit, they come and thank. So it was with me. This variety is sooooo very piggy but winters well.