Ways to get rid of raspberries on the site
One of the most delicious berries is raspberry. It is used to make delicious desserts and winter preserves. Its drawback is in spontaneous growth. Therefore, some gardeners make a lot of efforts to get rid of it.
Why is raspberry hard to get rid of
When a person thinks about why it is difficult to get rid of raspberries, he must take into account several basic structural features of this culture. Berry bushes have an unusual root system and different breeding methods. Each gardener who grows raspberries in his garden, tries to create comfortable conditions for her. But there is a certain category of people who, on the contrary, are trying to eradicate this culture in the garden. And they approach this complex process with all responsibility.
Important! The complex root system of perennial raspberries helps her cope with many adverse situations, surviving under any conditions.
Raspberry Root System
If we consider the features of the root system of raspberries, then there are several stages of its development:
- A seedling suitable for planting consists of a rhizome and a main stem. After a few weeks, shoots are formed on the rhizome to replace;
- independent bushes are connected with parents by rhizomes;
- after harvesting, the upper part of the bush dies, and the root remains unchanged and gives new shoots;
- annually, offspring are formed on horizontal buds. They receive useful substances and moisture from the parent bush;
- if the bush dies, then the root system of the young seedling becomes independent, forming a separate plant.
Among the common methods of propagation of raspberries are:
- Green cuttings. If you want to maintain varietal qualities, then this method will allow you to do this. A small seedling is cut so that its length is 8–10 cm. After that, it is placed in a solution that includes a growth stimulant (Kornevin, Heteroauxin or growth powder). Withstand planting material in such conditions for 15 hours. After this time, the cuttings are planted in the soil and covered with a plastic wrap. Maintain optimal distance when planting (no more than 10 cm between the bushes). Within a month, cuttings will take root in the soil and will grow.
Important! If raspberries were propagated by green cuttings, then the temperature should be within + 25 ° С. If the method of root cuttings was used, then the temperature is kept in the range +25 ... + 30 ° С.
- Root cuttings. First determine what the root cuttings are. Based on the structural features of raspberries, this is the root element that has a side branch. The thickness of the root should be within 2-3 mm. The process of reproduction consists of several stages. First, small grooves are excavated (up to 5 cm deep), into which planting material is installed. After that, it is poured with 2 liters of warm water and covered with a film.
Effective ways to get rid of raspberries on the site
If a gardener thinks about how to remove raspberries from a garden plot, he uses different methods. Some of them do not end with a positive result. Others allow you to remove unnecessary plants, but for a long time period, so it is recommended to study in advance all existing methods and features of their implementation.So you will be sure that all your actions will succeed.
Uprooting old bushes
A common reason why it is imperative to uproot old bushes is the lack of berries on them. This process is best done in the spring. As tools use a pruner. If your raspberry is in a state of neglect, then it is better to use a shovel or an ax. First, branches are cut off so that there is no more than 10 cm above the surface of the earth. After that, they dig the entire garden where this culture grows, removing all elements of the root system.
Deepen the shovel by 1 bayonet, dig a bush and carefully remove it from the ground. It is likely that the small roots will be torn off and remain in the soil, so in the fall you will have to re-dig the garden plot and select the remaining parts of raspberries. If a gardener uproots a raspberry tree to begin construction, rather than planting new plants, then the task will be easier. To do this, in November they dig the earth and sprinkle it with salt. Its layer should be within 5–10 mm.
Video: Raspberry Root
Uprooting of young growth
Many gardeners and summer residents are faced with the problems of raspberry cultivation. Every year they clean up unnecessary shoots, and with the advent of spring, even more of them appear. A raspberry transplant is carried out with an interval of 5 years. To deal with the shoot is extremely important, as it negatively affects the culture. If the young shoot has appeared recently, then removing it is not difficult.
It is enough to dig a site and remove all roots from the soil. If you are not sure that you have eradicated all parts of the root system, then in April, when the grass emerges, you need to dig the earth again. To prevent the growth of raspberries, it is enough to plant crops such as potatoes, tomatoes or carrots next to it.
Did you know? In folklore, raspberries are called a sweet, carefree life, not burdened with any problems.
They will displace berry bushes, thereby simplifying the task for the summer resident. In the garden sphere, overgrowth is the enemy of raspberries, which takes all the nutrients and provokes a decrease in the size of berries. It also negatively affects the taste of the product. When growing raspberries, the gardener can face many troubles.
To avoid them, you must follow certain precautions:
- Use covered tight clothing. This is due to the fact that raspberry bushes are covered with small thorns with which you can hurt yourself.
- Use sharp tools. So you will make less effort during the execution of all actions.
- An equally mandatory precaution is to respirators and goggles. They are necessary if you use pesticides and other chemicals.
Deep raspberry railing
To stop the growth of raspberries in the area, it is enough to use fences inland. They are installed before planting crops to stop the development of the root system. So you will be sure that the roots will not go beyond the raspberry. The process of fencing raspberries deep into the ground consists in the use of dense materials (slate, crushed stone, metal sheets, border tape, plastic or roofing material). First they dig trenches.
Did you know? For the first time, raspberry bushes were discovered in the 3rd century BC on the Greek island of Crete.
Based on the developed root system, their depth should be 50-60 cm. Use a material whose width is at least 1 cm. After this, the walls of the recesses are covered with the selected material and covered with soil. In order not to form gaps, you will need to carefully tamp it. Such barriers have a positive effect on crop yields. Since it will not grow beyond the designated area, more berries will form on the bushes.
How to prevent raspberries from moving from neighbors
If you want to protect your site from the transition of raspberries from neighbors, you can use several methods:
- Setting barriers that prevent roots from reaching you. The essence of the installation of barriers is indicated above.
- Spraying the area with pesticides or saline. The only drawback of the saline solution is that no plants can be planted at the place of its use.
In the process of getting rid of raspberries, many gardeners use chemicals - pesticides. Most of them are created for weed control. Their advantage is that a person spends the minimum amount of time and effort. Their disadvantage is the need for multiple processing.
The most common pesticide with which gardeners try to poison raspberries is Roundup. It is often used to eliminate weeds. It also helps to cope with the growth of raspberries. It is enough to dilute 2 roundup ampoules in 10 liters of warm water and pour bushes and soil into the solution.
Among other, no less effective means, there are:
- "Hurricane" (20 ml per 5 liters of water).
- “Glifovit” (60 mg per 10 liters of water).
- "Alaz" (100 mg per 5 liters of water).
- "Tornado" (5 ampoules per 10 liters of water).
Application taking into account the possible effect on other plants on the site
If you grow other crops near raspberries, then the use of pesticides should be as accurate as possible. Some of them can damage the structure of vegetables, destroying their root system.
To reduce the risk of damage to vegetables and fruits growing next to raspberries, you must adhere to a number of necessary rules:
- spray and water raspberries at a distance of 2 m from crops;
- if raspberries are located close, then the bushes located on the border are removed mechanically;
- if necessary, cover vegetable and fruit crops with a film or plastic bottles (at the time of processing), and open after 2-3 hours.
Folk ways to get rid of raspberries
Common ways to get rid of raspberries are to use salt and vinegar. The disadvantage of such methods is the unsuitability of the site for subsequent landings. Such substances destroy all useful elements in the soil, and it becomes unsuitable for planting plants. Such a procedure is best carried out in late autumn so as not to aggravate the situation under the influence of sunlight.To prepare a saline solution, 1 kg of edible salt diluted in 10 liters of warm water is used. Water the area so that the solution penetrates to a depth of 5-6 cm. To prepare another effective product, use 2 cups of acetic acid, which is diluted in 5 liters of warm water. Watering is carried out to a depth of 3 cm.
There is a less dangerous method for the soil. Take large sheets of slate and cover them with raspberries. Cut the bushes in advance so that their height is no more than 5 cm from the ground. The slate is pressed against the ground. Since plants will not receive sunlight, they will die when spring comes.
How to prevent re-overgrowing of the site
If you are in search of a method that would help prevent the site from overgrowing again, then there are several options for you. The first one is to treat the garden with a weak solution of pesticides. They will create a strong barrier on the surface through which the seedlings will not be able to break through. The second method is to install protective structures. Since durable bushes can penetrate roofing material, use car tires and slate.They are dug to a depth of 60–80 cm, so that the roots cannot bypass the structure through the depths of the soil. For reliability, crushed bricks or gravel are poured into the holes and sprinkled with a dense layer of earth. Garlic will help protect the garden from re-overgrowing. Plant it immediately after digging the raspberry and removing the roots.He will not allow seedlings to reappear. Growing raspberries is a complex process. She needs careful care.
If the gardener wants to uproot her, then he may encounter certain difficulties. This is a plant that does not give up and is trying in every way to break through to the surface, so some methods were eradicated to eradicate raspberries, not requiring strong material and physical costs. To maintain the quality of your work, carefully monitor the emergence of new shoots. Their timely removal will prevent the growth of raspberry.