Gooseberries with lemon, orange: homemade recipe options
Gooseberry jam is considered to be one of the most valuable and vitamin. However, such a delicacy cannot be called easy to execute, since the preparatory stage is quite painstaking. From the recommendations of this article, you will learn about several recipes for making homemade delicious jam for the winter, where, in addition to gooseberries, citrus fruits are used.
Gooseberry variety selection and pre-preparation of ingredients
Fruits that have not yet fully ripened are suitable for jam - such berries have a pleasant acidity. When choosing a variety, pay attention to the color of the skin and pulp. Jam is prepared mainly from green and yellow varieties, so that the finished product has a greenish-yellow or emerald color.
Did you know? It is curious that in different countries gooseberries have different semantic names. For example, in Great Britain it is called “goose berry”, and in Germany — "Christ's turn." Among Italians, the name "northern grape" is common.
The following varieties are ideally suited for processing:
- English green;
The preparation of berries begins with their thorough washing under running water. Then the fruits are sorted out, getting rid of specimens with spots and signs of spoilage. Pure berries are thrown into a colander and wait for the water to completely drain. Next, from each berry, it is necessary to remove the tails and stalks. It is convenient to do this with the help of nail scissors.
In addition to gooseberries, the fruits of lemon and orange are subject to preparation. Lemons will be used together with the peel, but the coarse parts (ends) are necessarily cut off. The fruits are thoroughly washed, cut into small slices. All bones must be removed from the pulp, otherwise they will add bitterness to the finished workpiece.
From the orange, the skin is certainly removed, then the fruit is divided into slices and freed from seeds.
Did you know? Gooseberries are a close relative of currants. The cross of blackcurrant and gooseberry resulted in a hybrid yoshta.
Best cooking recipes
Gooseberry jam is prepared using various additives and spices (cherry leaves, walnuts, honey, cinnamon, etc.), but it is best obtained with citrus fruits. Lemon and orange give the workpieces a light, pleasant acidity and spicy aroma.
4 cans of 0.5 L each 40 minutes / 12 hours
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Pure and processed berries should be put in a separate deep bowl.
- At the next stage, the berries and prepared lemon slices are scrolled in a meat grinder to a uniform consistency.
- The liquid mixture must be poured into a clean pan, pour sugar on top and mix thoroughly.
- The resulting mass is put on fire and brought to a boil. Important - do not forget to stir the mixture. After boiling, immediately turn off the stove, not allowing the mixture to boil.
- Jam is left to infuse for 12 hours. After a specified period of time, the pan with the sweet mass is again set on fire. After boiling, remove the pan from the stove.
- Hot liquid should be poured into sterilized jars and quickly rolled up.
After cooling, the workpiece according to this recipe acquires a thick consistency that resembles jelly. But there is no gelatin in the recipe. The whole secret is that in the presented berry in large quantities contains a natural gelling substance - pectin. In addition, the cooked gooseberry berries change color from green to reddish and may exude a light raspberry aroma.
Video recipeSimple recipeVideo recipe: Simple recipe
Important! The grill in the meat grinder must be large, otherwise the gooseberry berries will be difficult to chop.
Royal: with lemon and orange
4 cans of 0.5 l each 60 minutes / 20 hours
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Prepared slices of lemon and orange are crushed in an electric grinder or blender. The same thing is done with gooseberries.
- The grated berries are mixed in a pan, sugar is poured, and mixed again. The mass should stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- After a specified period of time, the pan is put on medium heat. After boiling, the temperature is immediately reduced to a minimum. You may notice that the bright green color of the jam begins to take on a yellowish tint. In the process of cooking, it is necessary to remove the resulting foam - it is not suitable for jam. The mass is boiled for about 10 minutes, until the foam ceases to stand out.
- Turning off the gas, let the jam stand for 4-5 hours, after which it is again sent to the fire. Waiting for boiling again, the flame is reduced to a minimum and foam is actively removed from the surface of boiling sweetness. It is necessary to boil until the moment when the foam ceases to form. Ready jam takes on a dark color. In its color and consistency, the mass resembles buckwheat honey.
- Hot royal jam is poured into banks. The containers must be sterilized in advance in the oven at 100 ° C for 20-30 minutes. The cans filled with the sweet substance tightly tighten the lids. Do not forget that the covers also require preliminary preparation - they must be thoroughly washed and boiled.
- Banks are turned upside down, and after a day sent for storage.
Video recipeRoyal: with lemon and orangeVideo recipe: Royal: with lemon and orange
Terms and conditions of storage of blanks
Jars of jam prepared according to any of the above recipes are recommended to be stored in a cool and dark place. Containers are kept as far away as possible from heating appliances. In addition, blanks should never be exposed to direct sunlight. The best storage for them is a dry cellar or pantry in the apartment.
Important! In all conditions, jars of homemade jam should not be stored for longer than 2 years.
As you can see, special culinary talents for making gooseberry jam for the winter are not required. Do not be too lazy to spend time on peeling berries, and in the winter a delicious aromatic treat will appear on your table.