Ginger root for thyroid disease: healing properties, iodine content
Ginger in folk medicine is used against many diseases - both in treatment and in prevention. Why this root is useful for thyroid problems, we will consider in more detail below in the article.
Ginger and its benefits for the thyroid gland
When the thyroid gland malfunctions, the endocrine system and many processes in the body are disrupted, which leads to numerous diseases of the internal organs.
The main functions of the thyroid gland:
- division, growth and development of cells, tissues;
- hormone production;
- support for the work of reproductive organs;
- ensuring normal metabolism;
- strengthening the central nervous system and the work of the brain.
Did you know? The properties of ginger as an aphrodisiac were mentioned in the tale of Scheherazade "A Thousand and One Nights."
The root contains the following substances:
- potassium - A participant in the process of converting glucose into energy, normalizes the balance of cell fluids and acid-base, stimulates the contraction of muscle fibers. This element supports the work of the heart, kidneys, helps eliminate edema and remove toxins, provides conduction of nerve impulses;
- calcium - a participant in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, it is necessary to increase resistance to stress, normal sleep. The element takes part in the work of the endocrine system, in the synthesis of hormones and enzymes;
- selenium - It is also important for the production of hormones and enzymes, in addition, a participant in the conversion of thyroid-stimulating hormones into an active form;
- iron - one of the assistants of the immune system in the production of antibodies and the destruction of cells of viruses and infections, helps to eliminate toxins, improves metabolism;
- phosphorus - participates in the formation of DNA and RNA, transmitting gene information and responsible for cell growth and division, is responsible for transporting nutrients to tissues and cells, is needed for the absorption of vitamins - D, group B, and glucose;
- manganese - a participant in insulin metabolism, the production of thyroid hormones, accelerates the breakdown of fats, protein metabolism;
- copper - helps to normalize the endocrine system, participates in the production of sex hormones and insulin, strengthens the immune system;
- zinc - prevents overload of the nervous system, promotes the production of antibodies, hormones and blood cells of leukocytes, is responsible for the health of the skin;
- vitamin PP - One of the participants in the production of hormones such as insulin, progesterone, cortisone, testosterone, thyroxine, estrogen.
Hypothyroidism develops due to an acute lack of hormones, the thyroid gland is responsible for the production of. The condition can be caused by many reasons, including iodine deficiency, selenium, weakened immunity, iron deficiency anemia. As a result, the digestive system deteriorates, and accordingly, weight increases. This leads to stresses on the heart, blood vessels, changes in metabolic processes, deterioration of cellular respiration, weakening of the body's defenses. In addition to medicines, a diet is prescribed for treatment.
Did you know? The thyroid gland begins in the womb — in the fetus at 16 weeks of age.
The goals of the diet:
- restoration of the balance of vitamins and minerals;
- normalization of the metabolic and digestive processes;
- strengthening the cardiovascular system;
- stabilization of hematopoiesis;
- weight loss.
This condition is caused by thyroid dysfunction, which, in contrast to the malfunction described above, produces too many hormones. Excess forces the body to work at the limit of its capabilities. A lot of energy and nutrients are consumed, there is a lack of potassium, calcium, protein, phosphorus and other valuable elements.All this leads to weight loss, muscle mass. Treatment and diet, including those aimed at replenishing lost elements, to increase weight. However, with hyperthyroidism, ginger should not be used, since it is a spice.
- Forbidden with an ailment are all products that excite the body:
- strong tea;
- black chocolate;
Traditional medicine recipes for thyroid disease
Treatment should be carried out by specialists in this field, but some folk remedies are used as maintenance therapy and an auxiliary complex.
Ginger Juice with Cinnamon
Cinnamon contains almost all the elements necessary for thyroid health. This product is an antiseptic, which is important for the immune system. Cinnamon accelerates the metabolism, the process of processing carbohydrates and proteins into energy, which helps to reduce weight.Pure ginger juice can be consumed in an amount of not more than 2 mg per day for children and 4 mg for adults. The drink is prepared on the basis of tea, adding 1 tsp. juice and a pinch of cinnamon. Drink no more than two cups per day.
Important! Ginger juice or chopped root flesh is used as a compress. An external agent helps to reduce pain in the presence of nodes in the thyroid gland.
Tea with dry ginger, honey and lemon
The benefits of honey, healing and restorative, are confirmed by both folk and official medicine. The chemical composition of the sweet product is almost identical to the composition of blood plasma, therefore, its regular use normalizes the work of the gland in question and the amount of hormones in the body. The high concentration of ascorbic acid in lemon helps the immune system to fight harmful cells.
Tea can be prepared in two ways:
- Pour 0.5 teaspoon of dry root powder with boiling water, leave for 15 minutes, and then add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and honey to taste.
- Pour the same amount of powder with cold water and boil, then add other components to the cooled to 40 ° drink.
Walnut is one of the products containing a large amount of iodine. In addition, it is useful for anemia, disorders of the nervous system, to strengthen blood vessels and improve brain function. Official medicine recommends the use of nuts for adults and children with iodine deficiency.
Ginger root and green nuts in a 1: 1 ratio are ground and poured with honey. The mixture in a glass container should be infused for about a month. They keep it in the refrigerator, consume 1 hour before meals 3 times a day.
Ginger with green tea
Green tea contains a large number of vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, catechins and other useful elements. The drink tones the body, normalizes metabolism, the work of the immune and circulatory system. Despite the presence of caffeine, green tea does not have a strong stimulating effect. To prevent thyroid diseases, chopped fresh root is added to tea - 2 g, or dry powder in the same amount.
Vitamin Ginger Drink with Lemon, Cranberries, Nutmeg and Cinnamon
Cranberries are the source of all the micro and macro elements necessary for the thyroid gland; it is the record among berries for the content of iodine and aminoxylate.As for the benefits of nutmeg, in this spicy product you can find almost the entire periodic table, including iodine.
Important! Nutmeg is contraindicated in pregnant women: it affects the tone of the uterus and can cause uterine bleeding.
As a basis for a cocktail, take 100 ml of lemon juice and 100 g of cranberries, 2 g of spices:
- grated root;
- cinnamon (powder);
- nutmeg (ground).
All ingredients are whipped in a blender with 2 cups of boiled cold water. Drink the drink twice a day: in the morning on an empty stomach and in the afternoon before dinner in 15 minutes.
Excessive consumption of ginger can harm the digestive system - for example, cause heartburn, acidity.
- Folk remedies are not suitable for everyone - the use of the root is contraindicated in such conditions:
- gastrointestinal ulcer;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- biliary tract disease.
Ginger is not a panacea for endocrine gland disease, but it will serve as an excellent prevention of ailments. Traditional medicine recipes, including the product, are a good adjuvant and body-supporting therapeutic agent.