Delicious step-by-step recipes for harvesting sauerkraut for the winter
Crispy sauerkraut is a real storehouse of vitamin C, and its spicy taste goes well with many meat and fish dishes. Therefore, many housewives every year procure such a snack for the winter, using a variety of recipes. The basic rules for choosing the ingredients for preparing delicious sauerkraut, the best recipes for this appetizer, which describe step-by-step a sequence of actions, as well as recommendations for storing blanks, are further in the article.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
In order for the cooked dish to be tasty and healthy, and also to have a characteristic crunch, you need to choose the main ingredient correctly. For starter culture, it is recommended to use round and dense cabbage of late white cabbage, without mechanical damage and rot.
Did you know? Sauerkraut was prepared in China in the III century. BC e. - then for the preparation of snacks, the vegetable was soaked in wine.
The secret to the good taste of a home-made snack is that the leaves of a fresh vegetable should have a sweetish flavor, without bitterness. According to the reviews of experienced hostesses, it is better not to wash the heads of cabbage before cutting, but only to remove a few top leaves from it.
Step-by-step recipes for harvesting sauerkraut crisp for the winter
There are many ways to make juicy sauerkraut. In the classic appetizer recipe, only the vegetable and salt are used, but other vegetables, fruits, and various spices can also be added to the preparation. They add a new flavor to the finished snack, but during cooking it is necessary to strictly observe the specified proportions and adhere to a certain sequence of actions. In this case, it will certainly be possible to make a tasty and fragrant dish that can be consumed under a glass of vodka or used as a filling for pies throughout the winter.
The simplest and quickest recipes that make it easy to prepare a delicious sauerkraut, as in the photo, are listed below in the article.
Classic recipe in instant jars
2 cans of 1 liter each 30 minutes / 5 days
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Wash vegetables, peel carrots. Cut the main ingredient into narrow and long strips, put in a wide bowl.
- Sprinkle chopped cabbage with salt. Gently knead the mixture with your hands so that the salt crystals are evenly distributed over it and completely dissolved.
- Then you can add sugar, mixing it thoroughly with chopped vegetable.
- Grate carrots, add to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well the resulting vegetable mass.
- Add to the cabbage a mixture of peppers, cut into small pieces of bay leaf, mix. Vegetables should let the juice go.
- Fold the resulting mass into prepared liter cans, ramming it tightly with your hands. Leave the containers at room temperature for 36 hours for fermentation.
- Cover the jars with plastic lids. Remove the workpiece in a cold place for 3 days so that it is well infused.
Video recipeClassic recipe in instant cansVideo recipe: Classic recipe in instant cans
Important! To prepare sauerkraut, you can use only ordinary rock salt - from iodized salt the vegetable will become soft and lose its taste.
3 cans of 1 l each 30 minutes / 12 hours
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Rinse the cabbage head thoroughly. Chop the vegetable with narrow and long strips, fold it into a suitable wide size container.
- Rinse and peel the carrots. Grate the root crop on a grater for cooking Korean salad, add carrots to the cabbage.
- Divide the head of garlic into separate teeth, peel them. Cut each tooth into several small slices, and then add to the bowl with chopped vegetables.
- Pour the marinade water into a small saucepan, put on the stove and bring to a boil. Dissolve salt and sugar in a boiling liquid, add vegetable oil. After boiling the brine again, add pepper and bay leaf to it. Pour vinegar into the liquid mixture and then quickly remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Pour hot marinade into a container with the rest of the ingredients. Press the vegetable mass on top with a lid with a heavy load and leave it to insist for 10-12 hours.
- Transfer the finished pickled billet to clean glass jars and put in a cool place for storage.
Did you know? China is the leader in cabbage production - more than 30 million tons of this vegetable are harvested here annually.
3 cans of 1 l30 minutes / 2 days
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Wash vegetables, peel carrots and onion heads. Chop cabbage, put in a deep saucepan.
- Grate the carrots on a coarse grater, cut the onions into 4 parts and chop into thin strips. Add these ingredients to a bowl of cabbage, mix.
- In a small saucepan, mix vinegar and vegetable oil. Add sugar, salt and mustard to the liquid ingredients, mix. Put the mass on the stove and warm for 5 minutes, and then remove the stewpan from the heat.
- Pour chopped vegetables with hot marinade, mix well. Leave the appetizer to infuse for 2 hours, periodically mixing the contents of the pan so that the vegetables are well saturated with the marinade.
- Arrange the vegetable mass in clean glass jars and put them in storage. Ferment appetizer for another 2 days.
Sauerkraut will be able to withstand a long shelf life and will crunch appetizingly only if the cans are stored correctly. At room temperature, the snack quickly deteriorates and can become sour, becoming unfit for consumption.
Important! During the storage of snacks, you need to ensure that the vegetable mass is completely covered with brine. If there is not enough liquid in the tank, you can add some salt water to the workpiece.
Store fermented appetizer according to the following rules:
- blanks should be kept in the refrigerator, cellar or basement at a temperature of 0 ... + 2 ° C;
- To preserve the useful substances in the composition of the snack, the jars should be in a place protected from sunlight;
- it is recommended to store the snack at a humidity of at least 60% - in a room with dry air, pickled vegetable mass begins to dry out;
- it is impossible to expose the workpiece to sudden changes in temperature - this can provoke the fermentation of the product, as a result of which it will deteriorate;
- cabbage fermented in a barrel is stored for up to 8 months, and in glass jars - about 14 days.
It is very easy to ferment cabbage for the winter yourself. To do this, it is enough to follow all the recommendations specified in this article and clearly follow the described sequence of actions. A wide variety of recipes for this blank allows you to choose the version of the snack that you like the most.