How to use ground ginger for weight loss
One of the most popular properties of ginger is its ability to contribute to weight loss. Many people consume this root for weight loss, usually as an ingredient in various teas and infusions or as a natural supplement in capsules. This article is devoted to the possibility of losing weight with the help of ground ginger: it contains recipes for the most effective options and combinations of consumption of this product, as well as its useful properties and contraindications for taking root or powder from it.
The chemical composition of ground ginger
Ginger is a tropical plant belonging to the Zingiberaceae family. The rhizome of this plant is widely used for culinary and medicinal purposes. This tuber can be used both in its natural form and in powder form. Its taste is slightly spicy, sweet and having amazing healing properties due to the main active substance - gingerol.
People mainly consume this root rather because of its inherent medicinal properties than because of its nutritional value. But you should take into account the fact that the tubers of this plant are a good source of vitamins and active compounds.
In its raw form, ginger contains water (79%), carbohydrates (18%), proteins (2%) and fats (1%) in a smaller amount. A 100 g serving of ginger powder contains about 335 kcal, 4.2 g of fat, 9 g of protein and 57.5 g of carbohydrates. The root is rich in vitamin C, vitamins B9, B6, as well as potassium and magnesium.
Did you know? Today ginger is almost never grown from seeds. — the plant propagates by planting parts of the rhizome. Ginger root has an irregular, randomly branched shape, its color varies from pale yellow to dark brown.
Ginger Root Nutrients:
- Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid (5 mg, or 6% of the total mass). It is an important antioxidant involved in the healthy development of tissues in the body, strengthening the immune system, and preventing the formation of free radicals.
- Vitamin B9, or folic acid (11 mcg, or 3% of the total mass). The most important nutrient for the metabolism of other acids and amino acids in the body, as well as for the development and functioning of the brain.
- Magnesium (43 mg, or 12% of the total mass). An essential mineral for maintaining healthy nervous and muscle function.
- Potassium (415 mg, or 9% of the total mass). Promotes the proper functioning of the digestive system and ensures normal muscle contraction.
- Tubers also contain other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin E, B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6), calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, phosphorus and sodium.
To date, the roots of this plant, researchers have found about 115 biologically active components - Among them are gingerols, shogaols and sings. The concentration of these compounds may vary depending on the state of the plant: raw ginger contains high concentrations of gingerols, while in dry form, the root contains high concentrations of shogaols, and reduced concentrations of gingerols.
After heat treatment in the product, gingerol levels are significantly reduced as they continue to form singer. These three phenolic compounds have the greatest number of healing properties, among which the most effective are gingerols, then shogaols, followed by a singer, with the last substance being the least powerful. Thanks to them Ginger has excellent anti-inflammatory, antiemetic and antispasmodic properties..
Gingerols, Shogaols, zingerones and essential oils present in ginger are responsible for the characteristic aroma and taste, as well as for the healing properties of the product.The concentration of these compounds depends mainly on factors such as the geography of growth of the described plant, the time of collection and processing methods.
Does ginger help with weight loss?
It is impossible to predict in advance how long a person can lose extra pounds by including ginger powder in his permanent diet. All people differ from each other in body weight, state of health, metabolism. According to consumer reviews, it will take at least 2 weeks to see the first results.
It is even better to extend the consumption of the product up to 4-6 weeks, since during this period there will be noticeable changes in the percentage of fat in the body and the stomach will visually decrease. But you need to remember that ginger is not a magical solution to fight overweight: in order to lose weight, a person at the same time as a diet needs to lead a healthy lifestyle.
How to promote weight loss:
- Maintain a balanced diet rich in fiber, whole carbohydrates, healthy fats and lean proteins. This diet significantly reduces the total number of calories consumed daily.
- It is necessary to do physical exercises at least 4 times a week, at least 30 minutes in one session.
- Drink ginger tea or water every morning before breakfast, before any meal or at bedtime.
Useful and harmful properties
Due to the enormous potential of ginger compounds, a lot of research is being done on the effects that this plant can have on the human body.
- One of the important discoveries is the power of losing weight with the help of gingerols, which in combination with other key nutrients contribute to:
- accelerate metabolism. Possessing a thermogenic effect, ginger increases body temperature, activates metabolism and leads to a significant burning of fat;
- digesting food. Ginger compounds stimulate regular contractions of the stomach and intestines, improve food processing and help the body get rid of what it does not need. They also help to avoid indigestion and the accumulation of gases in the digestive system;
- creating a feeling of fullness. Ginger acts as an inhibitor of appetite and helps to maintain a sense of satiety for a long time, if consumed in between meals, usually in the form of tea;
- decrease cortisol levels. Excess cortisol (the stress hormone) can have a very negative effect on the body, since the accumulation of fat in the abdominal cavity is one of the most common effects of stress. Although this hormone performs very important functions, it is necessary to keep it under control, not only in order to avoid weight gain, but also for good overall health. Researchers have found that regular consumption of ginger helps to suppress the release of cortisol, as well as regulate other factors involved in the development of obesity, for example, insulin resistance, lipid profile in plasma and liver, amylase, lipase and leptin activity.
In addition to these properties, it is known that the high content of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants present in ginger strengthens the immune system, helps to eliminate toxins and fights against inflammatory processes.
All this leads to better functioning of the body, which means it helps people lose weight easier. However weight loss will always be determined by other factors, such as diet, level of physical activity, health status, genetics, etc. The best way to lose weight with ginger is to combine it with a healthy, balanced diet and aerobics at least 3-4 times a week.
And last but not least, the regular use of this product.Periodic use of ginger or just a few days will not help a person lose weight: you need to be constant and disciplined to see the expected results.
Video: Ginger Slimming
Methods and rules of use
This tuber root is usually available in various forms: fresh and dried, dried or in powder form. Any of these options can be effective for natural weight loss. Ginger tea is one of the best ways to take full advantage of the root of the plant in question. The drink can be prepared with both fresh and dry or ground ginger.
Important! To obtain a more saturated infusion, it is best to use the rhizome in its natural state.
Chopped, or powdered, ginger is the root of a plant that has been dried and ground into powder. This is a very common way to consume plants to reduce body weight. Such a product is available in health food stores and supermarkets. In fact, ground ginger is often the basis for other weight loss products, such as tea, capsules and lozenges..
However, there is a more versatile and interesting way to consume ginger powder: as a food supplement.
The powder is an excellent spice for flavoring meat, fish, seafood, soups, salads, and it is also used to make cookies and sweets.
Inclusion of ginger in the diet will help:
- increase satiety. When a person does not feel full after eating, he continues to eat. Scientific studies have shown that subjects who consumed 2 g of dry ginger powder during breakfast experienced a feeling of satiety 3 hours longer than the control group of people who did not;
- improve fat absorption in food. This is a very important condition to lose weight. When a person eats fatty foods, his body accumulates an excess of lipids in fat cells, causing them to expand. Doctors say that the consumption of ground ginger can stimulate the pancreas and increase the production of bile salts, which leads to less absorption of fats;
- metabolize carbohydrates.
Important! When using ginger powder for weight loss should be consideredthat the dose should not exceed the total amount recommended during the day, especially when taken with various drugs. If a person drinks ginger tea, and also uses ground ginger to add flavor to food, you need to make sure that other foods do not have the addition of this seasoning.
Ground Ginger Tea
Well-known fact: digestion and weight loss are closely related. Poor digestion can lead to weight gain, because the body cannot properly absorb and absorb nutrients, moreover, it also can not effectively remove waste and toxins. This can lead to a slowdown in metabolism. Drinking ginger tea in the morning will help to normalize the metabolism and digestive process in the human body..
How to make ground ginger tea:
- Take half a teaspoon of grated ginger and boil in 3 tbsp. water for about 10 minutes with minimal boiling.
- Strain the hot broth through a strainer with small holes.
- Drink tea warm or hot.
You can also prepare lemon-ginger water for weight loss. This drink will give the body an impetus to cleanse, as well as increase the metabolic rate. Juice squeezed from half a lemon and a teaspoon of grated ginger are added to one glass of warm water. It is recommended to drink the drink early in the morning before meals for 1-2 months.
Did you know? The taste and quality of ginger powder vary greatly depending on where the plants were grown, so among connoisseurs the best product is considered to be from Jamaica, which has a pale color, delicate aroma and very finely textured grinding.The African product is known for having a sharp flavor, and the powder from ginger grown in Australia has the strongest lemon shades of taste.
Green Tea Recipe with Ginger Additive:
- A small length of up to 1 cm is cut from the fresh root, then it must be crushed in a mortar or blender.
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil 0.5 l of water, add chopped ginger mass and boil for about 3 minutes. over low heat.
- Then in this broth brew green tea (from a bag or leaf), cover the mixture with a lid and insist for 5 minutes.
Fresh Ginger Root
Ginger root tea helps speed up metabolism, improve digestion, keep you feeling full longer and burn more fat in the long run.
Making ginger tea for weight loss:
- Boil 1 tbsp. water or simply heat water in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- A piece of root is cut off (approximately the thickness of a finger), the skin is scraped off of it, and cut into very thin, translucent slices.
- Slices of ginger are added to the boiling liquid and boiled for 1-2 minutes.
- The drink is allowed to stand (5-10 minutes) to release all compounds and natural oils.
- Ready tea is drunk while it is still warm. Instead of sugar, you can add a few drops of stevia or another sweetener with minimal calories instead of sugar, but this is not necessary.
It is recommended to take ginger tea for weight loss 3 times a day. The first time it is drunk on an empty stomach, and then optionally, before or after a meal.
Ginger water will help saturate the body with fluid, increase energy levels, remove toxins from the body, avoid the deposition of fat on the stomach and help burn fat cells during everyday tasks. Ginger water is a variant of tea: it has the same beneficial properties, but it is prepared differently.
Ginger Water Recipes:
- Boil 1 liter of water, remove from heat, add 10 or 12 thin slices of freshly peeled ginger and cover the container to insist for 10-15 minutes. After the water is saturated with ginger, the drink must be filtered (remove segments of the root) and drunk in a warm or cold form.
- Pieces of peeled ginger are placed in 1 liter of water at room temperature and left overnight. The drink will be ready for use the next morning as soon as it is infused.
Depending on the proportions used, the effect of ginger water can be more or less intense. It can be drunk several times a day before and after meals, but if the taste is too strong, it is better not to exceed a dose equal to 3 tbsp. in a day
Taking into account that the purpose of drinking ginger tea or water is to lose weight, it is not recommended to add any sweeteners (especially sugar) that can add extra calories to the drink.
Important! If a person who wants to lose weight suffers from a disease, then before the active use of ginger it is necessary to consult a doctor. It is also necessary to suspend the use of the root if any symptoms of health problems, such as irritation of the stomach, diarrhea, burning in the mouth, are noticed.
Regardless of whether the powder is used as a seasoning in the kitchen, as a natural supplement or as a means for losing weight, it is important to keep in mind that the product may cause side effects and is contraindicated in some people. On the recommendation of doctors, the daily dose should not exceed 4 g, since this is the amount that was determined by many studies as safe.
If a person wants to lose weight with the help of infusions, tea or food with the addition of ginger root, you need to make sure that he does not consume it more than recommended, especially if ginger powder is used
Otherwise, any side effects may occur. The most common ones are:
- burning in the stomach;
In addition, the use of the root should be avoided simultaneously with the use of any medicine. Ginger compounds may interact with some prescription drugs, such as diabetes medications, high blood pressure, and anticoagulants. In this case, you must always consult with your doctor before combining taking the root and the drug.
Did you know? In the Middle East, ginger is used as a seasoning for couscous, stewed meat and vegetarian dishes. This plant plays a key role in Indian dishes, it is also an indispensable ingredient for flavoring meat, seafood and vegetable dishes in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese cuisines.
- Regular use of ginger for weight loss is contraindicated in:
- stomach ulcer;
- bleeding disorders;
- heart disease
- pregnancy or breastfeeding;
- allergies to ginger;
- heavy bleeding during menstruation;
Contraindications due to illness do not mean that patients cannot use ginger for weight loss at all. However they should do this in moderation, always observing the body’s reaction and following the advice of their doctor.
Ginger root is quite popular in various parts of the world. People who want to lose weight should use this product in the form of a regularly consumed drink.