Ginger beer: how to cook at home
Today on sale there is a considerable selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks that can quench thirst and cheer up. Among them, ginger beer is a bright accent, the history of production of which goes back to the XVIII century. It was then, in England, for the first time that ginger shavings were introduced to beer, which, then, was included in the composition of the drink in its production. This wonderful beer, called ale, is quite possible to make at home. How to do it - read on.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
The main ingredient in ginger beer is undoubtedly ginger root. This spice belongs to the most used herbal supplements, which, of course, shows its best sides only if it is chosen correctly.
Did you know? Ginger root is not only a useful spice, but has a lot of miraculous properties, including, improves potency in men and has a positive effect on the female reproductive system. It serves as a cure for many ailments, strengthens the immune system and is a prophylactic for colds.
Ginger can be considered suitable for consumption in food, including for the manufacture of home-made beer. if it has the following characteristics:
- smooth, compacted root without sluggish fragments;
- the absence of spots and wrinkles, which may indicate that the product is "old" or affected by a fungus.
It is better to choose long roots, as they contain much more nutrients and essential oils. When choosing a ginger root, a small incision should be made (you can lift the skin with a fingernail) - a pleasant fragrant aroma should spread.
Ginger beer (ale) recipes
Ginger beer has earned considerable authority among connoisseurs of natural tonic drinks, as well as those who prefer the use of herbal products to improve health. On Internet sites you can find many recipes for making ancient ale at home, including those with various spices and dried fruits that give the drink a special taste.
Important! Dried fruits sold in markets and stores may be coated with special oils to prevent sticking. Before adding to beer, rinse the fruit well with hot water.
4 L 15 min
Energy value per 100 g:
- Cut lemons and ginger into pieces and twist in a meat grinder (lemons do not need to be peeled and pitted).
- Prepare a large container in which ale will roam. Pour in running water and add a mixture of lemons, ginger, sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Pour dry yeast, cover the bottle and let stand for a quarter of an hour until the fermentation process begins
- After the specified time, open the lid, mix the contents, close again using a water seal.
- Set the workpiece to roam for three days, choosing a warm, darkened place.
- Open the container, mix the contents, strain.
- Now the drink can be bottled by adding 1 teaspoon of sugar for each liter of liquid.
- Put the filled container in the refrigerator.
Video recipeClassicVideo Recipe: Classic
This recipe involves the preparation of 4 liters of ginger ale with a strength of 5%.
Important! People who take sedatives, antibiotics, as well as those suffering from cardiovascular diseases should refuse to use low-alcohol beer.
Non-alcoholic ginger beer
2.5 L20 min.
Energy value per 100 g:
- Ginger root grate on a fine grater.
- Wash the lemons, gently remove the zest, combine it with grated ginger and mix well the mixture, which is placed in a jar or carafe.
- Squeeze the juice from the peeled lemons and pour it into the container with the workpiece.
- Enter sugar and honey (the amount of sugar can be changed at your discretion).
- Add warm water, mix. You can use ordinary drinking or sparkling water.
- Set aside the container with all contents for 3-4 hours. After filtering, non-alcoholic ginger ale is ready to eat.
Video recipeNon-alcoholic ginger beerVideo recipe: Non-alcoholic ginger beer
Ginger Light Ale
15 L 150 min.
brewer's yeast (fresh)
2 tbsp. l
Energy value per 100 g:
- Pour the malt into the pan, grind lightly and pour cold water for 10 minutes.
- Boil the mixture, gradually introducing sugar with continuous stirring. Add half (50 g) of chopped ginger root. Cook for 2 hours over low heat.
- Strain the workpiece.
- Peel the lemon, separating the zest from the pulp.
- Finely chop the zest, fold into a cloth bag, tie and place in a pan with liquid.
- Add lemon juice and hops.
- Put the pan with all the ingredients in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- After the specified time, the mixture must be filtered, attach the yeast and the remaining ginger to it. It is advisable to pour the drink into a wooden tub.
- Cover the container with a drink with a napkin or towel (do not clog!) And leave it to ferment in a warm place for 3 days.
- When bubbles no longer form on the surface of the beer, it can be bottled and corked.
- Hops give ginger ale a pleasant aroma and refreshing taste.
Video recipeGinger Light Ale Video Recipe: Ginger Light Ale
Features of the use and storage of the drink
It should be noted that ginger beer is a refreshing and invigorating drink, which, having a burning taste, leaves, at the same time, a spicy aftertaste. Tasting a drink is best when cold. Ideal option - in a hot summer season in the open air. Beer can be used as an independent product, or as an additive in alcoholic cocktails.
Did you know? Ginger beer relieves the symptoms of a severe cold, sore throat, tracheitis, bronchitis. The drink must be heated to the temperature of hot tea and taken in a warm condition.
It is worth considering that the quality of beer is adversely affected by oxygen, heat and direct sunlight. To preserve home-made ginger ale, it must be carefully corked and stored in a cool, dark place (in the refrigerator or basement at a temperature of + 1 ... + 3 ° С). The shelf life of the drink is no more than 2 years.
Home-made beer from ginger is a rare occurrence. But such a drink is much better than the "store", because you know exactly what ingredients were used in the production. Homemade ginger ale is a living beer, aromatic and tasty, which, when used in reasonable amounts, will fill the body with a mass of useful elements and drive away depression.