Popular recipes for harvesting sauerkraut without salt for the winter
Sauerkraut is a real storehouse of vitamins. There are many options for fermentation using a minimum of ingredients. If the salty product is not to your taste, you can use the salt-free method of fermentation, which will be presented below in several interpretations.
Before you make sauerkraut, you need to choose the ingredients for the dish. To get a high-quality, tasty and healthy pickled product, the main element of the snack should be selected only from the late varieties.
Such specimens have a fairly dense sheet structure, therefore, even after the type of processing under consideration, their benefits will be fully preserved. If you use early grades, the final product will not crackle, but will acquire a watery structure.
Did you know? In the English Channel, on about. Jersey sprouts jersey cabbage reaching 3–4 m in height. Its leaves are edible, like in other varieties, but the locals use plant stems for the most part in the manufacture of furniture.
Product preparation includes several activities:
- eat the top leaves with a cabbage fork;
- washing and drying the head of cabbage;
- cutting the cabbage head into several parts, removing the stump;
- cleaning and washing all other ingredients required by prescription.
Sauerkraut harvesting recipes for the winter
An old recipe that allows fermenting cabbage exactly does not include salt in its composition. The fact is that in the old days the concepts of “leaven” and “salting” were clearly delineated, today it is more common to call both starters sauerkraut.
Before you start cooking the dish in question, you need to carefully prepare the dishes in which the products will be laid, as well as work surfaces (countertop or cutting board). All kitchen utensils should be washed with soda, then rinsed with boiling water. Wash the countertop thoroughly, dry it with a paper towel.
A simple recipe without salt and sugar
1 can for 1 liter 3-4 days
head of cabbage
1-2 pcs. weighing 3.5 kg
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- Squeeze thoroughly with your hands so that the raw materials let juice out. Put the cabbage in a bucket, add water.
- Place a clean plate on top of the raw material, place a 3 liter jar filled with water on it (as shown in the photo below). Leave to insist for 3-4 days.
Important! If in the process of chopping cabbage a sufficient amount of juice is allocated and the products are covered almost completely, you do not need to add water.
A simple recipe without salt and sugar Video recipe: A simple recipe without salt and sugar
After a day, the kvash will begin to roam. This is easily determined by the bubbles that will form on the surface of the liquid. Foam needs to be removed with a ladle throughout the entire period of insisting products. In addition, in order to ensure the normal discharge of carbon dioxide, immediately after collecting the foam, pierce the raw materials to the full height in several places. On 3-4 days, when the foam ceases to stand out, the products need to be put in jars.
Put the ready-made kvash in the refrigerator. The only drawback of this prescription interpretation is the short shelf life. You cannot save it for more than 7-10 days. If you neglect this rule, you can cause serious harm to your body.
Another prerequisite is that throughout the time while you are preparing cabbage according to this recipe, you need to taste it. If you put the products in jars too early until the fermentation process is completed, it will have a too sour taste and will quickly become worthless.
Without salt and spices
This is a classic recipe with vinegar added as a preservative. Thanks to this ingredient, the final product can be stored under certain conditions throughout the winter. Unlike other options, a dish according to this recipe will cook much faster. If desired, at the time of use, such products can be salted.
2 pcs. medium size
black pepper and allspice
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Chop the main ingredient into small pieces.
- Grate the carrots on a coarse grater.
- Mix vegetables, mash well with your hands.
- Add spices, mix well again.
- Place the raw materials in a wooden barrel or glass jars.
- In a saucepan, boil water with vinegar (boil for 3 minutes).
- Remove the brine from the heat and immediately pour the vegetable mixture over it.
- Insist a day, put in a dark, cool place.
This recipe is suitable for those who lead a healthy lifestyle and adhere to proper nutrition, avoiding foods such as salt and vinegar in their diet. This option has collected the largest number of positive reviews.
mixture of caraway and coriander
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Grind vegetables, mix, squeezing carefully, so that they let the juice.
- Tamp the raw materials into a barrel or bucket, simultaneously mixing with spices.
- Lay a plate on the surface of the vegetable mixture, set the oppression weighing 5-6 kg.
- After 2 days, remove the oppression, mix the raw materials.
- Install oppression weighing 3-4 kg.
- After another 2 days, remove the oppression, mix, put the vegetable mixture in jars, put in a cold place.
Household storage rules
It is best to store products at home in the refrigerator, having previously placed them in glass jars.
The main requirements that must be observed when storing sauerkraut are as follows:
- lack of contact with direct sunlight;
- temperature - 0 ... + 6 ° С;
- humidity - 70%.
Products that do not include vinegar essence or other types of preservatives are stored for no longer than 1 week. If you need a product that will stand all winter, it is better to pickle cabbage. Sauerkraut does not have to be salted during cooking. This approach will help to make the appetizer more tender and to the maximum to preserve the beneficial properties of the vegetable crop.