Varieties of strawberries: from early to remontant, different daylight hours
Strawberries are popular all over the world. Today there are many varieties and hybrids developed by breeders from different countries. All varieties have different qualities. About some of them with the main characteristics and description, read further in the article.
Promising Strawberry Varieties
Originators in the field of gardening are constantly working on the selection of new types of strawberries. Many of the bred varieties are becoming popular all over the world.
Below are a few promising varieties developed recently:
- Ducat. The variety is resistant to sudden temperature changes. Seedlings are remarkably rooted in Siberian and Ural conditions. Among the cultural benefits, gardeners also call disease resistance. The approximate weight of one berry is 20–40 g. The variety is fruitful; 1-2 kg of berries are removed from one plant.
- Wima Zanta. If you follow the correct agricultural technology, large berries ripen in the bushes weighing up to 40 g. Fruiting begins in May. During the growing season, gardeners harvest 700–900 g of the crop from the bush. Among the disadvantages of the variety is poor storability. It is desirable to transport berries in the cold, so as not to damage the crop. However, capricious in storage, strawberries have a pleasant sweet taste with sourness.
- Diamond. The American strawberry hybrid is highly resistant to infections and stubborn. The variety is characterized by abundant fruiting. From one bush, farmers take up to 2 kg of fruit. Medium berries ripen — the weight of one specimen is approximately 20–40 g. Plants bear fruit from the last days of spring to mid-July.
Selection of CIS countries
Strawberry breeding of the CIS countries is ideal for gardeners in the post-Soviet space. Varieties were originally developed and zoned for growing in individual areas, which simplifies the planting of seedlings and fruit setting.
Important! Try to choose varieties zoned for your area for planting in open soil. If the climate is not conducive to crop growth, the greenhouse will be the only option.
On the market you can find many hybrids and varieties of strawberries native to the CIS countries. Many of them were brought out by originating scientists in the USSR; they worked on the development of the rest in independent states.
Agronomists are advised to pay attention to the following types:
- Alice. The variety was developed in the Crimea, but today it is popular among domestic gardeners. Maternal species are Holiday and Desna. The berries are large in size, the approximate mass reaches 25 g. Fruits are even blunt-shaped. The peel is burgundy, glossy. The pulp is elastic, cherry. Fruiting begins in the first half of June. Productivity is average, farmers harvest about 200 g of fruit from one bush.
- Viola. The variety was bred in the USSR by crossing Festivalnaya and Zephyr strawberries. The plant is recommended to be planted in open soil in the middle lane and southern regions of the CIS countries. The fruits ripen in the first two decades of June. The berries are medium, weighing 15–20 g. The strawberries are round, bright red. The pulp is also red, juicy. The taste is dessert, slightly sour. Productivity - 170-200 g from one bush.
- Wondrous. The variety was bred in the USSR, but registered 17 years after the collapse of the union. The fruits are medium, reach a weight of 20-30 g. The berries are elongated, smooth. The skin is light red. By taste characteristics, the berries are sweet with sourness. Gardeners, when properly grown, remove up to [strong style = "box-sizing: border-box;"] [/ strong] 250 g from one bush.
The culture is widespread in many countries of the world, therefore there are many varieties of foreign selection.Own hybrids are famous for the Netherlands, USA, France, Italy and other countries.
Choosing a culture for amateur and industrial cultivation, farmers pay attention to the following varieties:
- Alba. The variety was bred by originators from Italy. This is an elite variety with high palatability that gained popularity in Russia in the 2000s. The berries are elongated, bright red. The weight of one copy is 30-50 g. The taste is dessert, almost without acidity.
- Honey. The famous hybrid, bred in the USA in 1979. To obtain the variety, breeders crossed the species of Vibrant and Holiday. Ripening begins in the second half of May. The appearance of the berries is conical. The peel is distinguished by a crimson color with a glossy sheen. The pulp is elastic, juicy, pink. The average weight of the fetus is 30 g.
- Lambada. The variety was bred in the Netherlands in 1982. Maternal species - Holliday, Silvetta, Primella, Karina. Fruits in the shape of a cone, ripen weighing up to 20-30 g. Peel of a pronounced red tint. The flesh of pink color, medium elasticity. The taste is sweet and sour. The average yield from the bush is 150-200 g.
The most fruitful varieties of strawberries for open ground
High yield is one of the important qualities of strawberries. For many, this is the main characteristic of the culture, especially if the farmer grows berries for sale.
Did you know? Strawberry Lambada belongs to the "musical" line of Dutch varieties of the company Fresh Forward. The company also developed hybrids Sonata, Rumba, Allegro, Polka.
The following varieties are famous for abundant fruiting:
- Asia. An early variety developed by Italian originators. The first fruits ripen in the third decade of May. The mass of one instance reaches 30 g. The shape of a strawberry is similar to an elongated cone. Gardeners collect 1–1.2 kg of crop from one bush.
- Marshal. The variety differs from other wedge-shaped fruits. The berries are large and weigh between 50-60 g. Fruiting in one bush during the growing season is 1 kg of fruit.
- Chamora Turusi. The fruits ripen large. The weight of one instance is 80–110 g. The berries are tasty and juicy. The shape is round with a small crest. Productivity from the bush in the third year of cultivation is about 1.5 kg.
Varieties of strawberries by ripening
By maturity, strawberry varieties are divided into early, middle and late. Separately, agronomists distinguish repair crops that bear fruit repeatedly in the same growing season.
Ultra early strawberry varieties
Early and ultra-early varieties mature in early summer.
This type of maturation is represented by many species, of which the following can be distinguished:
- Kokinskaya dawn. Fruits are light in weight up to 15 g. Berries are crimson. The pulp is poured, medium density, dessert taste with a distinct sourish flavor. From 1 m² of plantings, gardeners remove 0.9–1 kg of fruit.
- Cleary. The development of scientists from Italy, refers to the super-early hybrids. It is advisable to grow a crop in a greenhouse. The fruits ripen with an average weight of 25–40 g. The pulp is elastic, the taste is honey-strawberry, and there is no acid. 0.5–1 kg of crop is harvested from the bush.
- Olbia. A product of Ukrainian selection, popular in the middle lane of the CIS countries. The variety is large-fruited, the weight of one instance reaches 40 g. The yield is high. The average fruiting is 1 kg per bush. With professional breeding, farmers remove 2 kg of berries from a plant. The peel of the fruits is pronounced red, the pulp is poured and sweet.
Strawberry varieties of medium ripening
Ripe strawberries ripen from the third decade of June to early July.
Varieties with medium maturities include the following:
- Lord. It is characterized by fruit size up to 45–55 g. The color of berries is red, the shape is rounded conical. The yield by the fourth year of fruiting reaches 1–1.5 kg per bush. Dessert taste with a spicy strawberry aroma.
- Anna. The variety is zoned in the West Siberian region.The berries weigh 10–20 g. Outwardly, the berries are elongated-conical. The skin is red with an orange tint. The pulp is white, elastic, with a pleasant sweetish finish.
- Wima Kimberly. The hybrid is recommended for cultivation in the Central region. Berries look like a cone. One copy weighs 20–35 g. The skin color is red-orange. The sweetness of the pulp is moderate.
Late ripening strawberry varieties
Later varieties in temperate climates begin to ripen in mid-July.
The following varieties are popular with farmers:
- Polka. Hybrid bred in the Netherlands. The weight of the berries is small, up to 20 g. The first fruiting sometimes differs in larger berries weighing 30 g. The skin is red, the flesh is whitish, elastic. In terms of taste, dessert fruits with pronounced sourness and a spicy smell. Farmers take up to 300 g of the crop from the bush.
- Molding Pandora. The British variety, bred in the 50s of the twentieth century. Berries differ in a flattened-rounded shape. One instance weighs an average of 30 g. Burgundy peel. The pulp is light red, juicy. The taste is standard strawberry. Gardeners usually harvest up to 250 g of crop from a single plant.
- Carmen. The variety was developed by scientists from the former Czechoslovakia. At the first fruiting, large fruits ripen up to 40 g. Further, the berries become smaller, 15–20 g. Peel and cherry flesh. The strawberry is poured, dense. During the growing season, gardeners collect 200 g of berries from one bush.
Strawberry of the repairing varieties bears fruit several times during the growing season. The advantage of the strawberry is a high yield. With the same planting, the gardener receives at least 2 times more berries in one season.
When choosing a repair strawberry, pay attention to the following varieties:
- Mara de Bois. The variety is characterized by medium fruits weighing up to 25 g. Berries of the standard cone-shaped type. Raspberry skin with an orange tint and glossy tint. The pulp is white, juicy. The name is translated from French as "wild berry." Indeed, according to tasters, the taste is similar to wild strawberries. In France, where the culture was bred, crops are harvested from May to October.
- Albion. The American selection is famous for its high yield and disease resistance. With proper agricultural technology, farmers manage to collect up to 2 kg of fruit. The berries ripen large, weighing from 40 to 60 g. Strawberry burgundy, shiny, conical in shape. The pulp is pink in color.
- Queen Elizabeth II. The ripe crop has a cone-shaped appearance. The peel is red with a glossy sheen. The fruits are quite large - the average weight of one instance is 40 g.
- Temptation. The plant bears fruit with medium-sized berries up to 30 g. Their shape is round, the skin is light cherry with a glossy tint. The pulp is juicy, with a pronounced muscat aroma. The taste is dessert, acid is almost not felt.
Varieties of strawberries of different daylight hours
Varieties of culture are divided into varieties of neutral and short daylight hours. These two types are different in duration and frequency of fruiting.
Did you know? Some French men use strawberries to increase libido because they consider it a powerful aphrodisiac.
Strawberry Varieties Neutral Daylight
Strawberry neutral day is different in that all the processes of plant life are not tied to the length of the day. Development continues from early spring until the end of the growing season, which is why fruiting occurs up to 4 times a year. In greenhouse conditions, it is possible to achieve continuous setting and ripening of the crop.
When choosing seedlings, pay attention to the following three varieties:
- Evis delight. A variety of British breeding. Berries ripen weighing up to 25-30 g. The shape is even, elongated, conical. The skin is dense, red, glossy. The pulp is honey-strawberry, with a spicy aroma. Productivity of plants is very high, reaches 1–1.2 kg per bush.
- Charlotte 150. French large-fruited variety. Berries are heart-shaped, standard red. The weight of one instance is 15–25 g. Dessert pulp with a sweetish aftertaste. The productivity of one plant is 0.7–1.5 kg.
- Florentina. Dutch variety with fruits of one-dimensional cone-shaped appearance. The average weight of berries is 35–45 g. High density pulp, juicy. The taste of strawberries is a standard dessert.
Short Day Strawberry Varieties
Short daylight crops are characterized by a single setting of crops during the growing season.
This type includes many varieties popular among gardeners, including those listed below:
- Eliana. Dutch variety of early ripening. Berries are cone-shaped, one-dimensional. Scarlet peel, elastic flesh, tender. One fruit weighs 20–90 g. The taste is strawberry-honey, with a fragrant finish and floral notes.
- Queen. Variety bred by domestic breeders. The berries are cone-shaped, weighing 15-60 g. The burgundy peel with a glossy sheen. The pulp is elastic, juicy. The taste is sweet with a slight acidity.
- Nightingale. Mid-season variety of domestic selection. Fruits are rounded conical. The weight of one berry is 15–50 g. The color is burgundy, uniform. The pulp is friable, dessert-like to taste with a faint sourish aftertaste.
Rare Strawberry Varieties
Some varieties of garden strawberries are rarely found on the shelves. This is due to the exotic or low popularity of the culture.
The following species are rare in the CIS:
- Pineberry. It differs from other cultures by a white peel. Pineberry is called pineapple strawberry because of its palatability. The species was developed by scientists from the Netherlands. The fruits are very small and weigh up to 5 g.
- Anablanca. A rare French hybrid of the latest development. Like Pineberry, it has a white skin. The flesh is more pink.
- Kamrad Winner. Berries have not yet gained popularity in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, so the variety Kamrad-Pobeditel is less common than others. Peel of a cherry color with a glossy sheen. The pulp is tender, sweet. The average weight of the fetus is 40–100 g.
What kind of strawberry crop all year round
In heated greenhouses and even in an apartment, strawberries can be grown year-round. However, not every variety is suitable for growing berries throughout the year. The best options are repairing varieties of garden strawberries and plants of neutral daylight hours.
The following three varieties of farmers leave good reviews:
- Selva. Berries are distinguished by high commodity characteristics - burgundy uniform skin color, smooth round conical shape, elastic and juicy pulp. The taste is similar to strawberry, sweet with sourness. The weight of one copy is 30-60 g.
- San andreas. The species was developed by California scientists 17 years ago. Fruits ripen medium size, the weight of one instance is 35–40 g. Gardeners manage to collect up to 2 kg of ripe berries from 1 m². Strawberries San Andreas is often grown for industrial purposes due to its high yield and resistance to transportation. An important advantage of culture is resistance to many diseases.
- Lyubava. Plants give a large crop - up to 2 kg per 1 m². In this case, the weight of one fetus is average, ranging from 30–40 g. The variety is characterized by low-intensity self-formation. Agronomists call this an advantage - the mustache does not need to be constantly removed, which makes it easier to care for the plantings.
Important! Growing strawberries in a home environment, take care of the optimal microclimate for the crop. It depends on whether the culture will tie fruit year-round.
There are many varieties of strawberries and they are all good in their own way. When choosing a variety to grow in your garden, pay attention to the characteristics of fruiting and a description of the plants. With the right choice of culture and proper cultivation, a rich and tasty harvest awaits you.