Do watermelons ripen at home?
After buying a watermelon, it sometimes turns out that the fruit is unripe. This situation also happens with inexperienced farmers who grow crops and do not know all the intricacies of harvesting. Trying to solve a problem, people wonder if it is possible to make an unripe fruit ripen at home. You will find the answer to this question later in the article.
Methods for determining the ripeness of watermelon
At first glance, ripe and green watermelons do not differ - obvious differences become noticeable only if you cut the product. This similarity is not at hand for a buyer who wants to acquire a sweet juicy fruit. Because of this, situations often occur when a person learns about the quality of goods only at home.
Did you know? In South America, mini-watermelons grow in vivo. Outwardly, they look like gooseberries, but taste like cucumbers.
Experienced vegetable growers easily determine the ripeness of the berry. The tips below will help you choose a quality product in your own garden and upon purchase.
In the garden
You can determine the maturity of a product by its appearance. Agronomists call the five main signs of ripeness of the berry, which is still in the garden:
- The outer layer is shiny, there is no plaque, the surface cannot be scratched or pierced.
- The stripes on the peel are clear, without blurring.
- On the side, which was on the ground, is a spot of yellow or light brown color.
- When patting from the inside, a resonant resonating sound emits.
- The tail that connects the watermelon to the melon has dried.
The fifth point is the most important. The dry tail indicates that the berry has ripened and finished ripening - now it does not need food from the main bush. Thus, the plant itself gives a signal about the cessation of growth.
A fruit that meets all of the specified characteristics, you can immediately pick it from the garden.
Did you know? In 2005, an Arizona farmer raised a record watermelon weighing 122 kg.
Before the purchase
A quality watermelon in stores can be identified by the same characteristics as in the garden. Also pay attention to the following recommendations:
- The purchase time should be “watermelon” - from late summer to early fall. By this time, the crop is finally ripe.
- Avoid products with cracks, punctures, and cuts.
- Ask about the variety and characteristics of the product being sold - a conscientious seller will answer all your questions.
Many sources advise choosing fruits weighing 5-7 kg. The advice is partially justified: these are average cultural indicators. However, the weight and even the shape of the watermelon depends on the variety that the farmer grows. For example, varieties Big Sugar, Kai, Gift to the North are characterized by a weight of up to 10 kg. There are also small-fruited hybrids - Spark, Lunar, Suga Delicata; their weight does not exceed 4 kg. Therefore, it is important to know which variety you are buying.
Important! Buy food only in places with the necessary certification. In a roadside shop, perhaps, the watermelon will be ripe, but you can doubt the quality of the goods.
Can a watermelon ripen at home
Watermelons are sung only in the beds, unlike melons or zucchini. A ripped unripe fruit will retain all its qualities and will not ripen at home. That is why the storage of unripe berries and tips to let her “lie down” in the sun do not make sense.
Terms and conditions of storage of watermelon
Harvest can be stored in the refrigerator, room conditions or the cellar. The product expiration dates depend on the chosen option:
- Refrigerator. In general, at a temperature of +3 ... + 6 ° C, fruits are stored for 1.5 to 3 months. However, for storage in this format, rather refrigerators are needed. If the product has been cut, it can only be stored in the refrigerator. The expiration date in this case is no more than 3 days.
- Room conditions. In general, the product will last 4-5 weeks. In this case, berries need a lower air temperature at the level of +16 ... + 18 ° С. Storage rooms are ideal. It is better not to hold the cut fruit at room temperature for longer than 4 hours.
- Cellar. In the dark basement, the crop is stored for 3-4 months. Before storing, it is important to adjust the indoor climate. Keep the temperature at the level of +3 ... + 6 ° С, humidity 65–85%. In the cellar, a ventilation system must necessarily work to avoid fungal infections.
Important! For long-term storage, periodically flip watermelons.It is better to stack them so that the fruits do not touch each other.
Unfortunately, it makes no sense to leave an unripe berry to ripen at home. However, problems can be avoided - just know the distinguishing characteristics of ripe watermelons. Having studied the above recommendations, the reader will definitely make the right choice and enjoy the juicy fruit.