The most delicious recipes for harvesting cabbage with plums for the winter
Crispy pickled cabbage is one of the most popular dishes with which you can diversify your winter diet. It contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins, and also has a piquant and refreshing taste that goes well with fish and meat dishes. In addition to the classic ingredients for pickling winter preparations, you can also use plum, which will give the dish a pleasant sourness. The basic rules for choosing ingredients and step-by-step recipes on how to properly prepare pickled cabbage with plums, as well as methods for storing the workpiece, are listed below in the article.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
The secret to making a delicious pickled snack is to choose the right ingredients. White cabbage goes well with other vegetables, so you can add beets, onions, carrots, sweet bell peppers and other components to it.
Did you know? In 1987, head of cabbage was grown in France, weighing about 12 kg and a diameter of 1 meter.
The following are the basic rules for selecting and preparing vegetables that are part of the pickled harvest:
- the head should be fresh and dense, without yellow leaves, mechanical damage and rot;
- for preparation of the workpiece, it is necessary to choose ripe cabbage heads having a weight of not more than 1 kg;
- for pickling, it is recommended to choose forks with a small stump - from them you can get the maximum number of snacks;
- it is best to use late varieties of cabbage, as their leaves contain more sugar and have a dense structure;
- to get a delicious and crispy pickled vegetable salad, all vegetables need to be chopped with thin cubes - so they are better saturated with salt and spices;
- if carrots are used in the recipe, then you need to choose varieties with bright and juicy fruits - they will give the dish a beautiful appearance and rich taste;
- for pickling, choose sweet and semi-sweet onion varieties - too sharp fruits will make the harvest bitter and destroy the pleasant aroma of fresh vegetables;
- during the preparation of the workpiece, you can not use iodized salt - it will spoil the taste of the dish;
- for the preparation of marinade, it is recommended to use apple or wine vinegar - it has a more delicate and pleasant taste, and also does not harm the body.
Recipes for harvesting cabbage with plums for the winter
White cabbage is the main ingredient in many preparations for the winter, but pickling this vegetable with fresh or dried plums allows you to get a snack with a special sweet and sour flavor.
Important! You can taste the resulting appetizer in 1-2 days, serving it as an addition to meat dishes and potatoes.
There are several ways to pickle cabbage with plums, but cooking each of the options for this dish is simple and does not require much time.
3 cans of 1 l30 minutes
white wine vinegar
Energy value per 100 g:
- Wash the plums and other vegetables. Divide each plum into 2 halves to remove the seeds, and then put the fruits in a suitable bowl.
- Finely chop the cabbage, add to the bowl with plums.
- Cut the onion stalk into thin rings, add to the bowl with cabbage and plums. Stir the resulting salad.
- Pour marinade water into the stewpan and boil it. Add salt, sugar, spicy spices and vinegar, mix. Bring the liquid mixture to a boil, and then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Prepare a sterilized jar and fill it with cooked salad. Pour the container with vegetables with hot marinade.
- Seal the jar tightly, turn it vertically down with the neck and leave to cool at room temperature.
Video recipeMarinating with plumsVideo recipe: Marinating with plums
2 cans of 1 liter for 40 minutes
dry mustard (in grains)
Energy value per 100 g:
- Prunes and dried apricots are recommended to be poured with boiling water for 2-3 minutes, and then washed with dried fruit in warm water to make them soft.
- Wash the cabbage and cut into medium-sized pieces. Transfer the chopped vegetable into a deep bowl.
- Dried fruits cut into large strips. Add them to a bowl of cabbage, mix. Fill the prepared sterilized jars with the mixture.
- Add mustard seeds, pepper, bay leaf and washed stalks of dill to each bowl.
- Boil the water for the marinade, add sugar and salt to it.
- Pour jars of vegetable salad with boiling brine and cover them with lids. Leave the containers to cool at room temperature.
- When the jars have cooled, rearrange them on the windowsill, leaving the lids slightly ajar. Keep blanks on the windowsill for 24 hours.
- Add vinegar to the containers, close the lids tightly and turn the jars over so that all the ingredients are mixed. Put the cabbage in the refrigerator for 5 hours.
Did you know? 100 g of fresh cabbage contains about 60% of the daily intake of vitamin C.
3 cans of 1 l30 minutes
Energy value per 100 g:
- Wash and peel vegetables and an apple. Rinse cranberries and dried fruits, and then fold them into a colander to drain water.
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips and put in a suitable bowl.
- Cut onions in half rings, grate the carrots. Add them to the bowl with chopped cabbage.
- Cut the apple into small cubes. Mix with vegetables.
- Peel the garlic, pass it through the press. Prune cut into small pieces.
- Mix dried fruits, garlic and cranberries with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the marinade. To do this, dissolve sugar and salt in a saucepan with water, add vegetable oil and add bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then pour in apple cider vinegar. Remove the container from the fire.
- Pour the chopped ingredients with hot marinade. Press the mass on top with a lid so that about 1 cm of liquid is above the vegetables. Pickle a snack for 12 hours.
- The next day, transfer pickled cabbage with carrots and prunes to sterilized jars and seal them tightly with lids.
Ways to store at home
So that the cooked marinated billet does not deteriorate, it is recommended to keep it at a suitable temperature in compliance with certain rules.
The main storage methods for pickled cabbage are listed below:
- in fridge - here they keep jars with blanks for which a quick cooking method was used, and their shelf life is no more than 1 month. An open can of snacks can be left in the refrigerator for no more than a week;
- in the cellar - the workpiece can be stored in a hermetically sealed jar all winter in a dark room with an air temperature of 0 ... + 1 ° C;
- on the balcony - corked jars with pickled billets can be kept here for several months, maintaining a temperature of about 0 ° C. In case of frost, the containers are covered with a warm blanket so that they do not freeze;
- in the freezer - pickled cabbage is placed in plastic bags or plastic containers and frozen. In this form, the product can be stored for about a year, but after defrosting it partially loses its taste, therefore it is used mainly for preparing toppings in baked goods.
Important! It is most convenient to store a vegetable snack in glass jars with twisting lids, but enameled dishes can be used.
Canned cabbage salad with plums can be served as an independent snack, and also use it for cooking other dishes. Using the recommendations listed in this article, you can marinate such a tasty and healthy preparation every year that will delight you with its pungent sweet and sour taste until spring.