How to fry the onion until golden brown
Onion fried to a golden crust is a delicious appetizer and a great addition to many dishes. Learning to fry it to a golden crust in a pan or in the oven is not difficult, but, nevertheless, many housewives wonder how much and how to fry this vegetable until a golden hue appears. After reading this article, you will learn how to do it right and tasty.
Selection and pre-preparation of ingredients
You can fry any kind of onion, except for red and blue - during frying and cooking, colored vegetables become faded and inconspicuous in appearance. Such varieties are used for making salads and for baking. This also applies to green onions, it is better to add it to minced meat and to dressings.
Before frying, the vegetable is peeled and cut. The way it is cut depends on what dish you want to cook (for a garnish, cut in half rings, rings or cubes, and when preparing dressings and pilaf, the method of cutting depends on your desire and does not really matter).
When cleaning, always leave the bottom, so it will be better to stay on the board and not jump out from under the knife.The pan is better to choose a cast iron or with non-stick coating, then the frying process will be easier.
Did you know? As a result of research, nutritionists have established that onions are a fat burner. Based on the vegetable, a diet was developed based on onion soup.
Fried onions as a side dish or appetizer
Most housewives use fried onions as an intermediate in the preparation of various dishes. And in vain, because it makes very tasty and original independent dishes and snacks. Once you try to cook an unusual side dish from this vegetable, you can no longer refuse it.
Transparent, soft golden bow
Most often, you need to fry the onions with a golden crust in a pan. The recipe for this dish includes several items:
- Put the pan on medium heat, add a little vegetable oil, so that it covers the bottom.
- After the oil has warmed a little, add finely chopped onions.
- Make sure that the vegetable layer is not more than 1 cm thick, to avoid its excessive softening.
- As soon as the pieces become transparent, make sure that they do not burn, periodically mix them with a spatula.
- When the cubes acquire a golden color and a characteristic aroma, salt them and turn off the heat.
- Cover and let it brew for a minute.
For frying with a golden crust, ordinary (yellow) onions are best suited. It has a spicy spicy taste, sometimes with sweet notes, so it is ideal for fatty and spicy dishes, soups, pickles.
Important! You should not salt this vegetable at the beginning or in the middle of frying - it will soften too much, put in juice, and a golden crust will not work.
Do not confuse frying with sauté. Stir-frying, unlike frying, lasts only a couple of minutes; vegetables should ultimately look juicy, soft, slightly cooked, without a crust. Passer oil acquires a yellowish tint. The process of onion steaming is similar to frying:
- Bulbs get rid of residual moisture (can be wiped with a paper towel), chop in a way convenient for you.
- Pour oil into the pan and wait until it warms up until bubbles appear.
- Pour onion - make sure that its layer does not exceed 3 cm.
- After putting it out, reduce the heat to low.
- Stir the pieces periodically. After they soften and become transparent, turn off the heat.
For sauteing, it is better to choose young vegetables, they cook faster and have a milder taste.
Important! It is better to passer in a thick-walled pan or cauldron with a sufficient amount of fat or oil (15–20 g per 100 g of onion).
Crispy fried onions in flour in a pan
Crispy fried onions is an excellent beer snack and is also used as a seasoning for various dishes.
For the proper preparation of delicious crispy onions, you will need:
- large onions - 1 pc.;
- wheat flour - 1 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 1 pinch;
- sunflower oil - 0.5 l.
It must be prepared as follows:
- Cut the onions into cubes or very thin strips.
- Mix flour and salt in a bag, throw onion straws in the same bag, shake several times.
- Throw the onions onto a sieve or colander and shake to get rid of excess flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until bubbles appear and pour the straw in the flour.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Put the finished dish on a paper towel that absorbs excess oil.
Onion rings in batter
Another great snack is the onion rings in batter. The process of their preparation is very simple, and once you cook this dish, you definitely want more. To prepare two servings you need:
- onion heads - 2 pcs.;
- chicken eggs - 2 pcs.;
- fat sour cream - 100 g;
- wheat flour - 100 g;
- salt - 1 tsp;
- vegetable oil - 100 ml.
- Cut the onion into rings about 6 mm thick.
- Put the rings in a colander and pour them over with boiling water.
- Make a batter: beat eggs, add sour cream and salt, stir in flour. The consistency should be like a fritters test.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Dip the rings in batter and fry on both sides until a golden crust appears.
Did you know? Tears when slicing onions are secreted due to the so-called lacrimator - a substance that, falling into the eyes, forms sulfuric acid upon contact with moisture. To avoid this, experienced chefs recommend dipping the knife with water or freezing it.
In the oven in breadcrumbs
For those who want to diversify onion appetizers, the recipe for cooking onion rings in the oven is perfect. This method takes less time, making onions only tastier.
You will need:
- flour - 40 g;
- salt - 1 tsp;
- hot and red peppers - 1⁄4 tsp;
- sour cream - 250 ml;
- eggs - 2 pcs.;
- wheat flour - 140 g;
- breadcrumbs (you can use chips ground in a blender) - 200 g;
- onions - 2 pcs.;
- sunflower oil - 100 g;
- salt to taste.
Step-by-step cooking process:
- Before starting all preparations, set the oven to + 200 ° C to heat up.
- Peel the onions and cut them into rings up to 1 cm wide.
- In a bowl, mix half the flour, salt, pepper.
- Put the rings there and carefully, so as not to break, mix.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream and the rest of the flour until smooth.
- Put onion rings on a preheated baking sheet covered with parchment paper, after dipping them in sour cream and egg mixture and in crackers.
- The rings should be roasted for 8-10 minutes on each side.
Spices fried onions are often used by vegetarians in order to diversify their menu. But even active meat-eaters and spicy lovers will find such an appetizer very original and tasty.To prepare this dish, you need:
- onions - 6 heads;
- natural yogurt - 1 tbsp. l .;
- canola oil - 1 tsp;
- ground chili pepper - 1h. l .;
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp;
- ground coriander - 1 tsp;
- salt - 1 pinch (if you like salt, you can have more);
- lemon juice - 1 tsp;
- shredded mint leaves to taste.
The process of cooking this dish is simple. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Combine yogurt, chili, turmeric, coriander, salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Cut the small onions into quarters.
- Remove some of the flakes that were in the center.
- Place the spice paste on top of the remaining pieces.
- Heat canola oil in a frying pan, add a little paste, fry it for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
- Put the quarters in a frying pan, cover and simmer until they are soft.
Instead of a frying pan, you can use the oven, preheating it to + 200 ° C. Bake until soft, about 10 minutes.
Most often, when cooking soups and borscht, the housewives use onions fried in a pan with carrots. This dish is also suitable as a side dish for fish or meat. It can also be used as vegetable caviar, just with bread, hot or cold.
Important! MOrkov is better to choose sweet varieties, with a hard core — the dish will acquire a sweetish unusual aroma.
- Peel the vegetables. Grate carrots on a coarse grater, onions need to be cut into cubes.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan over medium heat (almost all varieties of carrots absorb a lot of oil when frying), add grated carrots.
- Fry lightly, then add the cubes, stir occasionally.
- Fry until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- If you plan to use the dish as a side dish, then before switching off, also add salt, pepper and bay leaf to taste.
Fried onion with egg - An excellent breakfast option for those who are always in a hurry and late somewhere. Cooking this dish will not take much time, and you will have time for your own affairs.
To prepare this breakfast you need:
- Pour vegetable oil onto a well-heated skillet so that it covers the bottom.
- While the oil pan is warming, peel the onion and cut it into large strips.
- Put the onions in a skillet.
- Sauté until golden brown, add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the straw is ready, make two recesses in it with a spatula or spoon, and beat in the eggs.
- Reduce heat to a minimum, cover and fry until cooked for 5-6 minutes.
- You can also salt the eggs, but do not forget that you have already salted the dish.
Important! The onion should be exactly well-done, and not just soft, so do not cover the pan with a lid.
Rules and features of dish storage
Most often, fried onions are stored ready-made in the refrigerator, for a short time - up to 2 days. Before putting it in the refrigerator, it must be placed in a clean, dry, hermetically sealed container. It is not advisable to add any other ingredients to this dish; it is enough to add salt and pepper.
Some housewives cut it into cubes, fry it, put it in jars and tightly close it, after which it is stored in the refrigerator for several months. But such a dish will eventually lose its taste and aroma, so it’s better to cook it again for every meal.
Onions are the most popular vegetable used to make soups, seasonings, dressings and side dishes. It is also difficult to overestimate its vitamin component. Therefore, do not forget about it in your kitchen - learning to roast it correctly, you will get a lot of pleasure and benefit.